Sled Pulling Q&A - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sled Pulling Q&A

Although I don't have interest in doing this with my truck, I've been getting some serious interest in sled pulling. I've got a few diesel mags that have run articles on pulling rigs, sled pulling events, & my personal favorite: The Shied Diesel Extravaganza. When it comes to raw power, I don't think it gets any more down to the nitty-gritty like a sled pulling rig. As interesting as these articles are, I don't have much info on the rules or classes that entail a sled pulling competition. For example: when it comes to 2.6, 2.8, 3.0, & super stock classes, I thought the numbers had something to do with the weight of the sled....like tons(), but turns out they're not. What do they stand for? & what are the rules & regs of a sled pull, if any? I'd like to get as much info as I can about sled pulling.

Last edited by RadarRider; 11-28-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:03 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

the numbers are referring to turbo sizes , thats how some sanctions break down their classes , by modifications and turbo size
Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
8000lbs. STOCK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCKS AND GAS TRUCKS OVER 6500lbs.

All trucks competing in this class must:

Be stock appearing and the floor in bed must be solid.
Be powered by the OEM diesel or gas engine for the make and model year of the truck.
Must have current license, registration, inspection, and insurance card.
Must have factory manufactured wheel base.
Must be available for under hood inspection.
May not exceed 8000lbs. with driver.
Diesel fuel only in diesel trucks. (No water injection, alcohol, propane or nitrous. (Nitrous bottle must be removed, if so equipped)
Pump gas only for gas trucks. (No alcohol or racing fuels allowed.)
No studded, cut, or grooved tires or any other tires not intended for street use. No tire chains. Tires must have stamped D.O.T number on sidewall and be a maximum height of 35".
All added weight must be placed inside of truck bed and secured to prevent weight from sliding around in truck bed. No weight brackets, boxes and hanging weights. NO weights allowed in cab.
Original front and rear axles must be used; raising or lowering of truck height with suspension modifications is permitted.
A fully functional front and rear suspension is required. No blocking suspension, traction stabilizer bars, spring-clamps, or locking of springs is allowed.
Front and rear bumpers must remain unaltered and in the factory position. No home manufactured bumpers allowed. Snowplow frames and brush guards are allowed. Tailgate or cargo net must be in place.
The hitch point must be from OEM factory style receiver hitch, mounted in the factory designed position. ABSOLUTELY no other hitch designs are permitted. Maximum hitch point allowance is 26" from top of hitch to level ground. Hitch must be rigid in all directions, NO trick hitches allowed. Pulling ring must have a 3" to 3 1/2" opening. No vertical hitch or opening. Hitch hook point must be the furthest point to the back of the truck, (or the first thing to hit if you backed into a wall!!)
Receiver hitch MUST be in place on truck at scale weigh-in.
Clutch, transmission, drive shafts and all drive line must be OEM for make/model of truck.
Any computer programmer or chip is permitted. Air cleaner and components required.
Factory turbo only: NO spacers, NO adapters, NO turbo alterations, PERIOD!
ABSOLUTELY no engine modifications are allowed!
Factory exhaust system must be in place and fully functional per OEM design. NO straight pipe muffler eliminators or stacks allowed. ALL TRUCKS MUST HAVE MUFFLERS!
ABC fire extinguisher (minimum 21/2lbs.) must be located in cab within reach of driver. Seat belt and helmet must be used when pulling.
Revised 1/2008

8000 lbs. SUPER STOCK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCK

All trucks competing in this class must:

Not exceed 8000lbs with the driver.
Have an engine designed for one ton truck or smaller.
Use Diesel fuel only, no alcohol, nitrous, propane, all bottles and tanks must be removed if equipped.
May not exceed 158" wheelbase.
Must have a fire extinguisher within reach of driver in cab.
Must have current license plate, registration and insurance card.
Driver must use seat belts and wear a helmet.
Must have front and rear bumpers.
Any type of computer programmer or chip allowed.
One turbo only, must bolt directly to manifold.
Any exhaust system allowed, vertical discharge preferred, exhaust must not discharge toward grandstand area, no open header pipes allowed.
No dual wheels, studded tires or chains, or any tire not intended for street use shall be permitted. No grooved, bar-tread or cut tires. All tires must have DOT numbers on sidewall. A maximum tire height of 35" allowed.
Air bags and the lines to them must be disconnected and capped and not connected to any air tank or supply pump. Suspension limiting blocks permitted, no welded or rigid rear suspension allowed. No chaining of front or rear axles, all suspension must have at least 2" minimum travel as a working suspension and have at least 3 spring leaves.
All added weight must be placed in the bed of the truck and must be secured to prevent weights sliding around. No weight allowed in the cab. Front weight boxes or hanging weights allowed, not to exceed 60" from the front axle centerline to the front of weights or box. All weights must be secured at all times. Tailgate or cargo net required.
Trucks with a manual transmission running in excess of 4000 rpm must have S.F.I. blow proof bell housing or bell housing scatter blanket installed. Automatic transmissions shall require a S.F.I. blanket installed.
Drive shaft loops and axle shields are recommended. Should have one loop on the front drive shaft, and two loops on the rear drive shaft. The remainder of the drive- line must be OEM for one-ton or less truck. No drop boxes and or reversers.

Hitch requirements:

The hitch must be a factory or aftermarket design for towing, no bumper hitches. Special pulling hitches are allowed and must be stationary in all directions. No connecting of hitch to rear axle or suspension, no trick hitches allowed.
Hitch pulling point must be no more than 26" from level ground with a 3" - 3 " pulling ring for the hook. No vertical hitches or openings.
Hitch hook point must be the furthest point to the rear of the truck, or the first thing to hit if you were to back into a wall.
All trucks must have working brakes, must have all glass and working windows, and working doors. Must have tailgate or cargo net and complete floor in bed.
Air shut-off or kill switch recommended but not mandatory for this class.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
the numbers are referring to turbo sizes , thats how some sanctions break down their classes , by modifications and turbo size
That clears up MUCH! The numbers make sense now comparing them to the articles I've been reading. There's one in particular I've read in the latest mag I picked up & had no idea why they were referring to the turbo with a 3.0 class. Thanks, SCUFFY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
8000lbs. STOCK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCKS AND GAS TRUCKS OVER 6500lbs.
8000 lbs. SUPER STOCK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCK
Hitch requirements:
Man, cchase! Have you competed in a sled pull?!?!? This is what I mean: they just don't give info on rules in mags. I would've never had any idea! Sled pulling in New England just isn't big & I wish it was. Some of those rules seem kinda strict, but I'm sure there's reason for 'em. Thanks for the rulebook, cchase, the time you put into it is much appreciated & has taught me even more about sled pulls!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Emergency Services

No problem man, I just typed it out of a rule sheet that I had from the fair. I havent done real competing yet, thats this up coming year, just some practice runs at the fair grounds.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
No problem man, I just typed it out of a rule sheet that I had from the fair. I havent done real competing yet, thats this up coming year, just some practice runs at the fair grounds.
Nice! Good luck with it, man. So, you've pulled an actual sled @ the fairgrounds? Or is it something else for practice runs? I just have no clue!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Emergency Services

an actual sled. blew out my mile marker hub doing it too!

I did it for fun, then i got the bug... so next time I will be doing it as much as i can aford
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
an actual sled. blew out my mile marker hub doing it too!

I did it for fun, then i got the bug... so next time I will be doing it as much as i can aford
Most people I've talked to elsewhere in the country say the same thing too: try it for fun, get bit by the bug!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
There is only one thing that gets me about the stock class, Is the truck must have a muffler
Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
There is only one thing that gets me about the stock class, Is the truck must have a muffler
Yeah, that is funny! I'm sure there's some sort of reason for it...as if the engine isn't going to be louder than the exhaust! WTF!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.