7.3 air pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 air pump?

I have a question about an air pump on my 1999 7.3 F350. I heard it run when I was checking the glow plug relay. It came on when I turned the key on. I don't remember hearing it run before. I'd like to know what it is, what it's for and if it's operating properly. I've included a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
7.3 air pump?-sam_0236.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think we all would call that a Vacuum Pump

It's OK to hear it occasionally, especially when you first turn on the truck. Shouldn't run for more than 30 secs at a time though.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had trouble getting the truck to start, that's why I was under the hood. It ran as long as I kept the key on (engine was not running). Well over a minute.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 PM

So my guess would be that you have a leak somewhere, in most cases, it's the rubber hose going to the front hubs for the 4WD (if you have the electronic 4WD sw in the dash)

BUT, it would be totally unrelated to a hard start. If this has been happening since it got cold read this -> Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

If it's not cold where you are, it's something else, have you been getting a SES light at all?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No light. I followed the link and tested the glow plug resistance, all within spec. We gave it shot of starting fluid once, and it started. It ran fine once is started. I just didn't want to use the starting fluid again.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Yea, Lay Off the Either!

But you have to tell us a Lot more about what's going on...

How many Miles? Mods?

Does this happen if you plug it in for 3hrs? Is this Only when cold? How Cold? How long do you let the GPs heat before you try?

How long does it actually take to start? First try after 5-7secs of cranking or do you have to try several times?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your help. Here's more information.

It's been getting progressively harder to start over the last 2-3 months. It's been in the 40-50 degree range, so not real cold. I've plugged it in for 3 hours whenever I've needed to drive it this last winter. Its not a daily driver, so it sits most of the time.

The last time we drove it, we had just changed the glow plug relay, and plugged it in for 3 hours (45 degree day), and it started on the third cycle of waiting 1 minute for the glow plugs. Then we drove for about 30 miles. We stopped for fuel, and it wouldn't restart. Tried 3 times, and we were afraid of getting stranded because the batteries were getting weaker. So we bought a can of ether and it came back to life. Ran fine until we got back home, which was about 18 miles.

I attemped to start it again last week, but it wouldn't fire up. I tested the relay again (tested OK) and then pulled the harness off per the link you sent me, and check the resistance of the glow plugs (tested OK). I didn't check the harness side: I will do that when I get home tonight, in case there's a disconnect between the relay and the harness.

The truck has 240,000 miles and it stock except for the aftermarket air filter. The fuel filter was changed within the last 1000 miles. We add Standyne fuel conditioner to the diesel.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 AM

Yea, at 40-50 degrees you have other problems...

I hate to say it, but at 250K, I'd be thinking your Injectors are just tired

Read through this, especially about cold starts -> http://www.swampsdiesel.com/files/7....Diagnostic.pdf
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took your advice, and had it checked out. The mechanic told me that they looked like the stock injectors. They have been changed out and now it starts right up. Thanks for helping me spend money in the right place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.