Newbie Owner Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie Owner Question

Seeing how the price of electricity is outrageous I would like some opinions on "plugging in".... I am not sure when and how long is really required....so would most people say below 32 degrees? and can I put it on a timer, so if I leave at work at 6:30 have it start heating at 4 or 5 or 5:30 ??? How long does it actually take for the full effect of the block heater to take effect???

thanks yall....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont see what year of truck your asking about so Ill say up front Im answering for the 6.0 motor.
When I first got my truck anything at or under 32* it just plain did not like to start. It would but it would complain about it. Smoke,rompin around wouldnt idle smooth. Just not a happy truck.
Now since then I have gone to Rotella t6 from the dino oil. I run ARCHOIL fuel and oil treatment. I run anti-gel with a shot of 2-cycle oil in the fuel. My FICM is 100%. (old ficm voltage was around 39volts not its around 47.5-48v) It has a atlas 40 tune and 2 very good batt's and the big 3 upgrade.
Now my truck will start well past the below zeros and into the -teens without being plugged in. Now at that -teens temps ya she would rather be plugged in but it still started just fine.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll answer for my 7.3, I've started it without being plugged in over night at 12 degrees F and she wasn't happy about it, romped around a bit and blew some white smoke and smoothed out. I plug mine in if it gets below about 35 just cuz I don't pay the electricity bill. But a 7.3s block heater is all full potential basically after about 2 hours so set your timer to that and she'll start much happier
Old 03-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, guess that wouldn't really apply in my case...my info would be....1995 7.3 turbo, totally stock, new to me, but he has been using rotella 15-40, going to pick it up next weekend and dont remeber the exact oil he has been running, but he said it took a few cranks this AM, but it was about 15 degrees this morning....and he said he didnt plug it in, but prolly should of...
Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow51Stang View Post
I'll answer for my 7.3, I've started it without being plugged in over night at 12 degrees F and she wasn't happy about it, romped around a bit and blew some white smoke and smoothed out. I plug mine in if it gets below about 35 just cuz I don't pay the electricity bill. But a 7.3s block heater is all full potential basically after about 2 hours so set your timer to that and she'll start much happier
Thanks, my previous reply was being typed as you answered, looks like a good place to start...will do that and see how she does....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.