Thinking of moving from an F150 to F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of moving from an F150 to F250

Hey all,

I'm considering trading my '12 F150 Platinum for a used F-250. Having never owned a diesel before I'm trying to do a lot of research and read up as much as I can on the various forums. I have always been a Ford guy and my entire family drives Ford so I'd really like to keep it that way. I generally spend most of the time on the highway to and from work (about 40 miles a day) and in the summer we do some lake trips. We are looking at getting a 28' boat that I'll be towing, and I also tow some trailers and campers during deer season. Nothing extreme though, and I'm sure my F150 could handle it. However, this seems like a good excuse to convince the wife I should get the diesel I've been wanting for years!

Could you guys give me some advice on which version of the Powerstroke I should be looking for, and any other recommendations for a diesel novice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I might be the minority, but my feelings are if you need it (read: not want) get it. If not stay with a 150. These trucks now days are complicated. Everything on them is expensive. You will make worse mileage than the eb and fuel costs more. I would never buy one on speculation. I have a 40' camper and 30' deck over tandem dual GN. If I didn't have to tow, I'd get an f150 like my wife or take hers and buy her a new Tahoe.

These are expensive to have for show and no go!

Brett
Six0~Stroker and Heavy_GD like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyshakelford For This Useful Post:
Six0~Stroker (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I might be the minority, but my feelings are if you need it (read: not want) get it. If not stay with a 150. These trucks now days are complicated. Everything on them is expensive. You will make worse mileage than the eb and fuel costs more. I would never buy one on speculation. I have a 40' camper and 30' deck over tandem dual GN. If I didn't have to tow, I'd get an f150 like my wife or take hers and buy her a new Tahoe.

These are expensive to have for show and no go!

Brett
Some great point's, and I agree.

If you are dead set on a diesel, here is my take on it

7.3L great solid motor, no real huge issue's other than CPS going bad. Problem is they are older so finding a really nice one will be hard and pricey.

6.0L Junk IMHO EGR's, Oil coolers, Head gasket's, etc..... Wouldn't touch one unless it's already been bullet proof'd.

6.4L Better than 6.0L not very good fuel mileage, not as much work too bullet proof.

6.7L great power, it's a new engine/design and they have a huge price tag

If you can stay with the F-150 I would unless your getting a 12K 5vr
Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 PM

I'll tell ya, I was absoultly AMAZED with the difference when I traded in my f150. Stability while towing, steering stability, and my god the power increase. I am still amazed at how well my 6.0 tows with a trans only tune.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad to find this discussion. I just joined this forum to ask same question about benefits of trading our Ford F 150 EcoBoost for a 250 diesel 6.7 because of problems trying to tow our 8000# Wind River 240rksw (loaded wt). We have plenty of power, but even with the ProPride hitch, we are over 250#s light on frt steer axel and heavy on rear axel 1350#s plus ( should be about 900+) which means that our truck wanders in its lane. We R working to try to balance trailer tongue weight with Ford, Hitch mgf, and trailer. We R thinking that the 250 might help remedy many of our problems. Anyone have suggestions or ideas?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Two questions: first does anyone know if the 6.7 diesel 250 comes standard with exhaust brakes? Second the Dodge Ram is claiming that they are the only true Diesel engine, that Ford refitted a gas engine to become diesel fueled so it doesn't perform as well. Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dodge out sources their diesel, fords 6.7 is a new design from the ground up, I wouldn't hesitate to use my diesels over an f150 for any trailer (except a land scape or smaller car hauler) I have an ecoboost f150 as well and it will take off like a scalded dog and run circles around my duallies, but when I hook my 24ft enclosed trailer up the duallies don't wander, they don't drop economy in half, and the don't feel light in the steering. If you can have both by all means get them, but both my duallies are 7.3 and higher mileage, I do most maintenance my self, and these are somewhat inexpensive to operate compared to newer ones (I am not a mechanic, I just play one on weekends)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

I went from a 2010 fx4 f150 to a 09 6.4L and i havent looked back. Most that claim the 6.4L milage sucks is due to the EPA stuff. When deleted i was getting 18-20 mpg on the highway all day everyday. Towing 10-12.

My half ton was more like 8mpg if i was lucky and 14ish or so on the highway. Both half ton and f250 were crew cabs with 6.5ft ISH bed.

It is more expensive to own is the only other issue. I also hate the ecoboost. I think its stupid. There are more farmers and other folks that have bought them and the ones that actually use theres for work traded them off for the 5.0. My friend did the same in about 3 months with his eco. THose that like them, thats great. but they arent for me. Hated driving it
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

150 and 250 experiences

Thank you 351fifty, and Big Smokey: your experiences and information seem very similar to ours. We have two friends with 250 diesels and they do not complain about the "wandering in lane" problems. We suspected the weight differences between our EB 150 TV and the TT were part of our issue, but also thought the suspension and frame was another factor....we have wanted those with experience rather than salesmen/women with a truck to sell to give us input. Our EB 150 is very spunky and provides a smooth ride, but it seems intimidated by our travel trailer. One truck salesman told us our trailer was "too long" ... it is 30' from coupler to spare tire ... we decided not to talk truck with him again.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OP: If you're doing the bulk of your driving empty, upgrading to a heavier, rougher riding truck for the occasional times you tow doesn't make much sense.

Likes2Camp: Have you tried moving weight around in your trailer? Put the heavy crap at the rear of it and it should reduce the hitch load a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.