What do I do with a lemon? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do I do with a lemon?

I recently bought a 14k fifth wheel and needed a truck that would pull it. I started researching trucks and the 05-07 Powerstroke crew cab fit my needs.

I read a lot on this forum before purchasing, but apparently not enough.

I bought a truck from a dealer in CO thinking it was a great deal, only to find out that the engine was shot after started towing down the highway.

The dealer won't take the truck back voluntarily (it's in the same condition as when I picked it up, which is that it over heats when under a load). The dealer has offered to sell me a Ford complete reman at their cost minus 1,000 (11K drop shipped to the mechanic's doorstep). It will cost about $2k to put the engine in. I paid 10,500 for the truck. So if I go that route, I'll be into it for at least $23,500 and I'm sure there will be more by the time I'm done.

The truck is in rough condition, probably a farm or heavy contractor vehicle.

So the questions are:
Do I try to get the truck back to the dealer using legal means. (Co has a board of dealers which may help as I understand)

Do I take the engine offer and be glad that I have a new engine for years of drivability (I only put 15k max on a vehicle per year, mostly driving 20 miles to work and back)?

If my first option fails, do I sell the truck with full disclosure and buy a truck in better shape?

Other options (like seeing how far the truck will make it into the dealer sales department when driven through the front door)?

Thanks for your help!

-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sorry for your issue, but what truck are we talking about?
How do you know the engine is gone?
Give us more details... you say its in rough shape, whats that mean?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a 2006 F350 CC 4WD long bed with 213,000 miles

I took it to a PSD master mechanic. He said, clogged oil cooler, head gaskets, ring blow-by, injectors, turbo, etc.

Rough means lots of dings and scratches, rough interior, loose steering (haven't diagnosed it yet), cracked windshield, etc. The back portion of the bed has had something so heavy, it flattened the ribs in the entire back portion of the bed, so you can see the outline of the frame.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:59 PM

no offense at all here but if it has all those issues how were you able to drive it off the lot?! There had to be signs off all these issues especially if you took a scan tool or a OBD reader with you.

10k for a CCLB4wd is to good to be true, it does sound like it had a hard life and not knowing the list of whats wrong I would say if the block isnt cracked or the rotating assembly locked up I'd lift the cab and throw the parts at it to get it back on the road.
Six0~Stroker likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry Dave but you're stuck with it, unless you JUST bought it
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Do NOT get a new engine for over 10k.
Get yours fixed CORRECTLY by a tech that knows what he's doing. You can fix all of those issues for a lot less than 10k.

Heck find a used engine on Craigslist or a wrecking yard and build it.

Know this, once the dealer sells you that 10k engine, you won't be much better off than where you are now... ALL engines need to be bullet proofed once your already in there. Might as well start with the one you already have

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Sell the truck as is or convert to a completely different engine. Many people get their 6.0 "bulletproofed" multiple times and still have constant issues.
'05-'07 trucks like yours around here are selling for about 5-6 grand while in need of engine work.

All of you guys that have bulletproofed and repaired your 6.0 need to start posting $ amounts and hours spent on engine repairs along with longevity.

The 6.0 in stock form will last a long time with light usage and a light foot. Pulling weight and pushing more power out of it will lift the heads.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought the truck on Saturday the 15th and discovered the issues on Monday the 17th. The truck as been sitting at the mechanics since then as I argue with the dealer.

Some more back story. I bought this truck long distance. I made the mistake of thinking that since I bought it from a "reputable" Ford dealership and asked them to inspect the vehicle to make sure it was mechanically sound for pulling a 15K 5th wheel 3,000 miles, I would be ok. Another mistake, I didn't insist that they document the pre-buy inspection. I didn't have a 3rd party look at it because it' a small town and I figured the Ford dealership would be the most qualified to insure it was road worthy. This pre-buy mechanically sound conversation went on with the dealer 2 weeks before I picked it up. When I showed up and saw how rough it was, I thought, "well, at least it's mechanically sound since they checked it out. I didn't expect much in terms of looks for 10.5K. I only wanted towing capability. It was supposed to be ready for the trip back home pulling the 5th wheel. In fact, they didn't even check the tire pressure as I found out 3 hours down the road with anywhere from 30 - 60 PSI in 80 PSI tires.

I don't want to act like I'm not at fault for the above not covering my bases. I certainly paid a stupid tax last week when my vacation was ruined and I had to fly home. I'm just trying to figure out what's next.

If I understand the replies, you're saying to gear-head it back into condition. If the truck were back home, I would be tempted to do that using my mechanic. Since it's in Albuquerque, I'd rather spend the extra 1,000 and get the Ford complete remanufacture.

Just so you know, I'm a software developer, not a mechanic. I can fix this website easily, but get lost pretty quick when it comes with fumes.

Bulletproofing means? EGR studs and bulletproof oil and egr cooler? Can I do that to the new Ford reman without loosing the warranty?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I really appreciate this. It sounds like so far no-one thinks 25k or so is unreasonable for this truck. I was thinking it would be worth 15K tops after putting in the new Ford reman.

Last edited by PSDave; 02-23-2014 at 01:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSDave For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
All of you guys that have bulletproofed and repaired your 6.0 need to start posting $ amounts and hours spent on engine repairs along with longevity.
I have no problem talking numbers, numbers for the 6.0, numbers for a fummins swap, or numbers for 7.3 trannies and repairs.

OP stated he did his reading and was educated so stable your high horse so we can focus.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My bad, sounds like you did ''just buy'' it in fact, the selling dealer needs to come clean but I'm guessing they wont......... is there a ''better business bureau'' or a lawyer you can call, sorry for your trouble.

It should have come with a 30 day guaranty at least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford reman engine, lemon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.