Opinions on bulletproofing my newly bought 6.0! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Opinions on bulletproofing my newly bought 6.0!

Ok Im pretty new to the forums but for the past two months have been researching the heck out of these 6.0s. New years eve I bought a 2004 F-250 lariet 6.0. Yesterday just turned 54, 000 miles. Truck was def used for towing and hauling but is in excellent shape inside and out. Runs like a new truck since I bought it from the dealer. SO FAR. I have since added a PMM coolant filtration, cleaned the egr And added a scangauge II Bought the elc zerex coolant to flush in a week or two with restore and vc9- everyrhing in the garage and ready to use-along with a new thermostat cause its reading coolant at 180 degrees. Also using deisel kleen white bottle every fillup for the cooler weather. Today Im gonna toss in the blue spring upgrade. Besides that truck is stock under the hood and right now no plans to do any tuning. So with that said I want to finish the motor work to help it last...should I just do BPD oil cooler and egr cooler and keep stock head bolts since I dont plan on using a tuner or should I do volts and gaskets first anyway, and then oil an egr cooler later. Right now can only afford one option or the other. Oil temp hasnt gona above 192-195 driving around town an maybe 205 on interstate. Coolant stays low 180 to 189 on interstate. Def need thermostat I think. What do you guys think? Thanks to all who post all the info has gotten me started on a interesting fun project here...really enjoying working on the truck an turnin a few wrenches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site and congrats on your truck!
Have you made 100% sure that your head gaskets are healthy? You can rig up a pressure guage into your coolant system and check them that way. You can get a test kit that will check for exhaust on the coolant as well.
If you are positive that your gaskets are good you have a couple options. 1. leave them alone. Ther is alot of guys that are running stock studs for alot of miles with out issues. And some of these are pushing pretty good them with tunes.
2. What I did was when I did my bullet proofing I cheated alittle and did the pull a oem stud and replace with a arp one at a time trick. Now there is a lot of guys that say this is not the way to go. But my motor's healthy and I figured at least I got the studs in there. I just couldnt afford to go any further into the truck at the time.
As far as the oil cooler, I would ask how long you plan on keeping the truck. Im gonna have mine for many years and I didnt want to be watching the "new" oil cooler slowly going away over the years. So I went all out and got the Bullet proof oil cooler with cold weather package, and their oil bypass filter with amsoil upgrade. I did all the work myself with very basic hand tool. Over a 3 day weeken and Im 110% pleased. These guys must deal with moron's all day long cause man when I called them the customer service was just great. From picking up the phone on the first ring, to not asking me what languge I wanted to talk in (that just piss's me off) to answering every single question I had. Some probably 2-3 times...
If you do go this route check out the bullet proofing threads on here. Snake didd a great write up.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, great I was wondering the best way to do that....pounds gauge and a couple fittings so where to hook up an what kind of adapter to it? I got plenty of gauges and nipples at work...
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Really good truck it sounds like and you have done great research! Coolant filter, blue spring, and addressing EGR are the first things to do - smart man! Do you live in a place you can get away with an EGR delete kit? I'd do that if you can, if not go with th BPD EGR cooler. I wouldn't say you have to jump on studs or oil cooler if all is well now. Congrats on what sounds like is a great truck
Old 02-16-2014, 06:28 AM

Oh and post 6.0 related questions in the specific forum and you will get much more advice then in the general section.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh ok! Still learning the site....well I live in Maryland and I dont think they do emissions on diesels buuuuut if the decide to someday then im kinda screwed right? Thanks for the input!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Get an EGR delete kit then, very easy to change back if you ever needed to.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
bljones2005 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok sounds like a plan ill get looking into it tonight ive looked at a few kits. I got my coolant filter from PMM they were super fast with delivery I may order a kit from them but Ill browse around first, thanks alot!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Opinions on bulletproofing my newly bought 6.0!

I'm definitely following this closely... I'm in the market for a solid truck myself. I'll be doing all of the bullet proofing at once, then hitting the road for a year with a massive trailer (37' bumper pull).

This for the great info!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by JohnInCanada; 02-20-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Im living proof that the bullet proofing can be done by your average diy guy. When I dove into mine I had NEVER turned a wrench on a diesel in my life. And not alot on gasser's. When it was all done I couldnt beleive how easy it was. It would of been alot easier with out the cab in the way but I got it done anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.