Diesel Mechanic Schools - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Mechanic Schools

Need some help/advice on diesel mechanic schools in the Northeast; Vermont, NH, RI, Etc. I am departing the Air Force coming up here on Sept 1st and I am pretty sure I am going to proceed into schooling. I am looking for a great accredited school, not just one that throws you a diploma where an employer will laugh at you. I would like to work for CAT or maybe Ford. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Anybody have any ideas on this topic?????
Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Ive heard decent things about Universal Technical Institute. IMO the best way to learn is hands on. UTI has that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM

I would have to second that I almost went to UTI when i got out of highschool but couldnt come up with the money. Family didnt make much and the Gov said my family made to much so i couldnt get in either way. But they are a very good school they have secondary stuff you can get into after you finish you main course like. You can basically go specialize into say Cat or peter built. Most of the time when you go through the specialization For say like Cat and then get job from Cat they normally will reimburse you for your schooling you may have to work for them for x amount of time but hey free school! Thats what i was told anyhow when i was going through the admission process and testing.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 AM

See I have read reviews about UTI and I read the opposite. I am getting out of the AF and the thing is I don't really know what I want to do. In the AF I pump fuel to the aircraft every day, and with this career field I am pretty limited on the outside world as to what I can do. But I am good with wrenches. So I am trying to figure out what I will like to do the rest of my life. I like wrenching on snowmobiles, dirtbikes, and trucks. I was always intrigued by diesels. But I don't know what kind of diesels. Fleet trucks like mac, peter, etc; or do I want to work on light duty, or even construction equipt? Sorry I know a lot of questions. Just trying to get ideas. Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM

In all honesty dude i never went to school. I started out working on heavy equipment and friction cranes fresh out of highschool. I was a mechanics assistant for an older man that taught me alot. 1.5 years later i had my own service truck doing it on my own. If its possible try to get in with a construction company. That was my education. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Would you recommend CAT?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM

you can go ricemiesters way. But he was lucky enough to get someone that would teach him thats not always so. I work constructions to, though im a pipewelder and not a mech. I just know how hard it is for someone to try and learn on the job. Its hard to get anyone anymore that is willing to take the time and teach you. Uti you can pretty much decide which way you want to go as far as what you want to work on they have a subschool that is MMI i believe, that is for more small engine and motorcycles, and i also believe watercraft.

I cant really say how good the school is because i wasnt able to go, so i can only tell ya what they told me when i was going through there application processes. But that was almost 10 years ago now. I do know when i first started going through the processes they sent a rep to my house for one on one time about there school and what not. Im not sure if they even do that anymore. I couldnt tell ya about the reviews or anything like that because i havent looked at them for the last 10 years.

I have considered going to there marine mechanics school so its easier for me to stay on the coast in texas where i want to live. Its harder for me right now to stay in one spot due to the nature of construction.

Dont always go by reviews schools like wyo tech and uti are the type of schools that you get out what you put in. If you dont put the effort in you wont get much out.
Some people think they can just show up and they are automatically master techs.

Last edited by studdgage; 01-15-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Actually yes you can go to CAT. I had a friend that did that. He was practically a helper but they will send you to school. Expenses payed (its their classes). But i know guys that have been there for years and have nothing to show for it. If you're looking for a place to start i'd say it would definitely help. On a side note the old man that i worked with showed me what not to do more than what i should do. Mechanics isnt for everyone i can assure you. Some people it kind of comes naturally while others do it but never really get it. As of right now im not wrenching full time. Hell i hardly do at all. I do more 6.0 side work than i do wrench time at my actual job. I'm welding pipes for auger boring right now but i fix wha needs to be fixed. Learning mechanics gives you something to fall back on thats for sure. Did the air force give you some college $ i presume?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM

I can choose Post 9/11 or GI Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.