Need help making a decision 7.3 vs 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help making a decision 7.3 vs 6.0

I am pursuing another diesel truck and am looking at two. One is a 1999 f250 xlt 4x4 out of state (I'm in michigan) so it's rust free. The other is a 2004 f350 6.0 diesel xlt 4x4 michigan truck but nearly rust free. Both have equal miles and are same in price. I've owned 7.3s and know how reliable they are. I know the 7.3s average 15-16mpg but the gauge in the 6.0 reads an average of 10.5mpg. The report says the 6.0 had an egr valve replaced in 2006. Now my question is should I buy the older truck that I know is reliable or buy the 6.0 and take a gamble on the engine and hope the fuel economy improves? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's a matter of preference. The torque shift behind the 6.0 is a much better trans.
I like the newer interior of my 05.

If you have a scanguage or something (i have the torque App for my Android) check the oil and coolant temps on the 6.0 after it warms up. 65mph on flat ground, the difference should be less than 15*. Check the FICM voltage with key on and during cranking, when running engine cold and warm. Voltage should not be below about 47.5 at any time

As far as the 7.3 is concerned, does it run? Lol I'll leave the quirks to someone else

Sent from a phone that makes calls too!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For sure a matter of preference.

They all have there problems.
Before I bought a 6.0 It would need all the normal problems fixed and had proof of such..

I love my 7.3 and I been having problems with it sense I bought it (1999 with 235k and was a work truck) only little stupid problems, but the dang thing just rocks!

The 05-07 truck is better in every way apart from the motor...

So what I'm doing is slowly upgrading my 99 with all the good stuff of the 05-07...apart from the trans
Don't think there is a way to make that trans work behind the 7.3
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 AM

When I first got my 05 it wasnt getting much better mpg's than. After the ficm and other some other goodies were fixed, I now get around 13.8. Thats around town,not too much freeway and alot of hills.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a hard decision. I know and trust the 7.3s but the 6.0 is five years newer so the truck has a newer interior and what not. The other thing I cannot decide between is the 6.0 being and f350 while the other is a 250. Anymore help would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its a no brainer for me. I own two 7.3s and needed a third truck so I ended up buying a RAM 5500 with the 6.7 Cummins cause I dont trust the newer Powerstrokes. My uncle has been a diesel mech and has had more issues with the 6.0 engine than any others. I dont know about yall but I need my truck running me down the road vice leaving me stranded somewhere.

One of my 7.3s is a 97 FSuperduty. I hate that truck so much I love it now. Im in the process of pulling the tranny for a rebuild, along with rebuilding the entire fuel system, new turbo with up pipes. I dont much mind cause I know what truck I have when I am done sinking my cash into it. Not much for looks and the interior sucks, but hey its a work truck, not a family run around town truck. My other 7.3 is a 95 F250 with 408,000 on the OD and its about to make another trip to Ga from NY pulling a 7200 lbs skidsteer behind it. Interior dont look much better than the FSuperduty but again what a truck.

I would go with the out of state rust free 250.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMAC View Post
I ended up buying a RAM 5500 with the 6.7 Cummins cause I dont trust the newer Powerstrokes. My uncle has been a diesel mech and has had more issues with the 6.0 engine than any others.
Im a HD mechanic and I work for Cummins, and I just bought a brand new 6.7 F350, so whats that tell ya?

OP, personally id go for the 6.0 in your situation. Delete it and never look back, my brother, also an HD mechanic owns a 05 6.0 and he loves that truck, my dads got an 01 7.3, still a good truck, just aint making near the power of the 6.0 and no creature comforts...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
Im a HD mechanic and I work for Cummins, and I just bought a brand new 6.7 F350, so whats that tell ya?

OP, personally id go for the 6.0 in your situation. Delete it and never look back, my brother, also an HD mechanic owns a 05 6.0 and he loves that truck, my dads got an 01 7.3, still a good truck, just aint making near the power of the 6.0 and no creature comforts...
It tells me you dont like Dodge trucks.

If you were to put 1.00 housing on stock turbo with stage 1 injectors in an old 7.3 wouldn't you produce the same power to the rear wheels without an innercooler as you would with the stock 6.0 which has an inner cooler, variable goemetry turbo and inner cooler?

Cant replace displacement.

How do you like your 6.7 Ford?
I love my 6.7 Cummins.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

So far no complaints with the truck yet. I find it more comfortable then my 11 5500 service truck. Dont get me wrong, cummins makes a good engine, its ram that ruins it, my service truck body is falling apart around a pretty bulletproof engine for the most part, with only 40k miles on the odo. I had a hard time choosing between ford and cummins, ford just felt more powerful stock.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMAC View Post
It tells me you dont like Dodge trucks.

If you were to put 1.00 housing on stock turbo with stage 1 injectors in an old 7.3 wouldn't you produce the same power to the rear wheels without an innercooler as you would with the stock 6.0 which has an inner cooler, variable goemetry turbo and inner cooler?

Cant replace displacement.

How do you like your 6.7 Ford?
I love my 6.7 Cummins.
only bad thing about the dodge is the truck falls apart around the motor.....the motor is the only thing that keeps up , as far as the 6.0 OP , even after you delete it and bullet proof it , they still have problems , not as simple as "its bulletproofed it runs forever"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.