Used Ford...Which should I buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used Ford...Which should I buy?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and soon to be new to owning a diesel truck. I'm looking for opinions and advice please. I will be towing a fifth 36ft. wheel trailer (12k lbs)for recreation/vacation. Probably only putting on an avg of 10k miles/per year between a couple of long towing trips/a few weekend getaways and some other weekly driving.

I'm looking at 2 different vehicles I've found that fit my budget.

1. 2008 F-350 King Ranch dually with 133k miles. Asking price is $20,500. It has a clean carfax report, one owner vehicles. Based on maint records available had the radiator replaced at 32k and repaired at 42k. Looks like regular oil changes every 5-7k miles.

2. 2010 F-350 Lariat (non dually) with 131k miles. Asking price is $23,500. This also has a clean carfax report and was a 1 owner vehicle. However, it appears there are no maint records.

Both trucks look really good, especially the King ranch. And both have the 6.4 engine. I read all kinds of stories on all Diesel engines and just want to be sure I make the best decision possible. I'm taking the dually into the local Ford dealer and paying for a diagnostics and multipoint inspection as I'm tending to lean towards that one. Are there advantages of buying the newer one with same miles. Where there issues that ford took care of in later production years of the 6.4? The $23,500 is at the top of my budget. Thanks so much for your help. I'm excited and nervous at the same time :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Well the 6.4 gets horrible mileage when in stock configuration due to the emissions equipment. Do you live in a state that requires emissions testing on diesels? If not then the 6.4 is a good truck when the emissions stuff is deleted, but if they test for emissions then I would say the 6.4 is a bad choice for you. Since your only putting around 10k miles a year I would go with a 7.3 that is a proven reliable platform, yeah you can with a 6.0L that has a slightly newer interior but not majorly and you still have it's problems. A bulletproofed 6.0L is still susceptible to its problems.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

You can find a nice 7.3 for under your budget and keep some cash for upgrades such as exhaust and chip (for towing tunes), wheels and tires, gps navigation stereo ECT

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldn't be afraid of either of those trucks as long as they have been maintained and you are okay with do the emissions delete items.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Keep in mind the costs of repairs on any ford diesel from 2008 and up. Do you plan on doing repairs yourself or having a shop do them? If the hpfp needs replaced that requires cab off, along with many other parts require cab off or removal of many things. Trust me I loved my 08 but I didn't have a lift to do cab off repairs or the cash to afford them kind of repairs so I went down to a 7.3 for cheaper parts and more abundant parts, but that's just better for me not everybody. So think about how your gunna have repairs and ECT done, either by your or paying somebody to do it. If I had a truck fund set aside I would've kept my 6.4 but I don't. You can't ignore the cost factor of the 6.4 vs a 7.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.