PSD's devour Cummins and Dura's in sales - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
PSD's devour Cummins and Dura's in sales

This was a headline for a story in Diesel Power Magazine...
Power Stroke Diesel: Ford's Field of Dreams
Ford sells more Power Stroke Super Dutys than all the Dodge Cummins and GM Duramax trucks combined. We look at Ford's longstanding relationship with International, and the birth of the Power Stroke engine

Isn't that amazing? Our PSD's outsell DCTD's and GMDD's combined! how ya like us now, Killer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to IC SMOKE Send a message via MSN to IC SMOKE
highlighted quotes:
Quote:
The 6.0-liter Power Stroke engine has been troublesome from the day it was launched in the fall of 2002. It replaced a somewhat unrefined 7.3-liter diesel.

The powertrain was built by a longtime Ford diesel supplier, International Truck and Engine Corp., of Melrose Park, Ill.

For this version of the engine, International Truck designed a unique high-pressure fuel-injection system.

Most automakers use only electronic controls to operate the fuel injectors in a common-rail system. But the Power Stroke's fuel injectors are operated by a high-pressure oil pump as well as electronics.

According to several of the 150-plus complaints posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some trucks never even made it home from the dealership before the fuel injectors or turbocharger failed.

The engine also has been plagued with leaky fuel injectors, oil leaks, broken turbochargers, wiring harness troubles, faulty sensors, defective exhaust gas recirculating valves and bad computers.

Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke.
Auto Week magazine

Diesel mag has favored PSD since issue 1 !!! the cheif editor drives a ford!

MY observations.....
Sheids pulling truck--- CUMMINS
Haisley's truckS --- CUMMINS
Fastest diesel _"banks" --- CUMMINS
Lucas dragster ---- CUMMINS
"sled puller" Gene --- CUMMINS

Heavy equipment applications- Case backhoe, generators, marine applications etc..

THIS IS NOT A FLAME POST SO LETS NOT TURN IT INTO ONE
Im just curious on your point of view.

Ian
Old 12-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker
This was a headline for a story in Diesel Power Magazine...
Power Stroke Diesel: Ford's Field of Dreams
Ford sells more Power Stroke Super Dutys than all the Dodge Cummins and GM Duramax trucks combined. We look at Ford's longstanding relationship with International, and the birth of the Power Stroke engine

Isn't that amazing? Our PSD's outsell DCTD's and GMDD's combined! how ya like us now, Killer?

THAT doesn't surprise me one bit!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokekiller
Okay smoke the only reason the powerstroke outsells us is because it is put into TWO platforms (super dooky and excursion). But if you want to play that one check the number of recalls. Dodge has ZERO. Chevy has TWO. Ford has if I'm not mistaken EIGHT. That's engine alone though. Adding on to I C Smoke's post. Do you know what the worlds fastest psd is??? it's 11.73 seconds and it's a 7.3L. Give me a 12v and ten grand and I can do that too. The cummins is far more reliable has far more testing and miles on the motors (in previous applications) and has many many many more options when you go the eventual path for mods. So how do you like me now chocker...I mean smoker. I'm giving you a little respect as it is because you actually went with a diesel and not the STUPID V10. So don't push your luck man :burnout You know I'm playing with you though. Gotta give you some hope.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

More 4 Cyl Toyotas Were sold then Trucks with a PSD in it what does that tell you ???
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
I'd have to say the problems and the big sales go hand in hand. There are alot of idiots out there buying PSDs just to have a big diesel. for the most part there aren't too many knuckle heads out there buying cummins trucks. oh well. the cummins is a heavier engine then the PSD. that's not saying the PSD is a bad engine, it just has alot of new ideas on it that will get refined with time. the important thing is I love my truck, and with good maint. these engine will run plenty long.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

I like all diesels And I really am thankfull for the PSD .... If it wasnt for them all the Diesel Mechanics would be laid off.

JK guys .... but the whole more sales more problems come back is a joke ..

whats that 77 technical service bulletins to cummins "0" What does TSB's have to do with sales Numbers ???? reguardless if theres 1 sale or 1000 if it has a techinical sevice bulliten its a serious issue . And I think that Ford let down alot of there Die Hard loyal followers big time and now they are reaping the benifits of it ... It does seem as if the 2005 and 2006 have there stuff strait Im glad for those owners , but as for the first few 6.0 guys man that sucks !

DM
Old 12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Power Strokeaholic

the reason the cummins is so "reliable" is it uses old basic technology dont it? you guys still have the same set up as back in the late "80's. right? basicaly. not a whole lot has changed. if ford/navistar/international stuck w/ one design and improved on it instead of developing a new engine every few years we woludnt have the trouble we do now. like you cummins guys. feel free to correct me on any of that.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Man the cummins guys get defensive really quick don't they? Seems like they can't take little teasing! Instead of teasing back for fun we instead get these gigantic detailed observations "oh your 6.0 sucks" and what-not. The 7.3 didn't come around til the early 90's. The 5.9 has been around for a lot longer than that. Of course it makes sense that it's a really great engine that they've had good luck from by sticking with it, tweaking here and there to make it better. I mean geez you tore up the 6.0, and you don't think the same unfortunate circumstances couldn't happen to your engines? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I know so many cummins guys with lift pumps and injector pumps and some other problems that have happened to most 5.9's. Aside from that, awesome engines...all of them.
Oh....and ask anyone on here why we give a hoot about 4 cyl toyotas???
Old 12-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Keep in mind the Banks truck was built just for the diesel land speed record, I'm pretty sure it had a mostly fiberglass Dakota body on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.