Steering feels loose in the middle. Truck wanders. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering feels loose in the middle. Truck wanders.

It wanders when the road is anything other than flat and straight.

Straight level road at any speed, the truck is fine. Goes straight and smooth. The 1st time you encounter a slight angle/slope or turn in the road, it becomes apparent. It doesn't take off but the 1st 1-2" of wheel travel(left or right) is not really responsive. Once the truck starts to move towards the direction you want, it's normal and moves precisely with the wheel movement to that direction. NOW, move the wheel to the other direction and you've got that "vague" response feel until the truck moves to the left and then it's precise again.

You can imagine going down a highway at 75mph and the slope of the road changes. The wheel will be at a 2 o'clock position to hold the truck straight. Same thing to the left.

The faster the speed, the more obvious this is.

The lift is brand new, the truck did it prior. The tires are brand new, the truck did it with the last set of tires, same size BTW.

Took truck to alignment after lift and they said the pitman nut was loose, tightened it and adjusted the toe on 1. They where well aware of the issue I was having and checked it all out. Nothing was loose or worn, other than the pitman nut. Tie-rods, balljoints etc, all looked/felt right.

I picked the truck up and it did felt better. Maybe that was me. That was a month ago, it feels bad again now. I got underneath and checked the pitman visually and with my hand, tight and normal to my eye.

any ideas would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nothing, huh? My only thought is a steering box that's bad but I don't know how a bad one feels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.