First Time Buyer - 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time Buyer - 6.0L

This is my first post here so I apologize if this is out of place.

A Ford dealer near me has a 2004 F250 Lariat on the lot and is asking $10,755. The 6.0L has 168,004 miles on it. Today the dealer sent me the warranty history on the truck which is dated between 2003 - 2006. There are several entries referring to a rough idle and/or misfire which the dealer techs attempted to address with the assistance of Ford Engineers. Over time the logs show the dealer replaced the EGR system, injectors #6 and #7, IPC sensor, IPR Valve, ICP Connector, engine looms and new PCM.

Since the logs end in 2006 I have no idea what other issues this engine has encountered. That being said, I know the 6.0L has had its problems. I've tried to do my homework and learn as much as I can but I'm still a novice in the diesel world (never owned one). I'm curious if this would be a good buy and I realize that is a completely subjective question.

This would be a second/hobby vehicle and I would pay cash (but not the asking price).

So, what I ask is this: If I take the time to visit the dealer and walk/test drive the truck, what should I look for / ask the dealer about the mechanical condition?

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Winning DUHHH

honestly. A 6.0 isnt a newbie diesel owners truck. Best bet for you is to try and connect with a local knowledgable 6.0 guy and have him with you
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Your best bet if youve never owned a diesel is to go for the 7.3. You dont have to do a thing to it to make it last. Plus youll have the two body styles to choose from. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of hauling. If youre for play, guessing thats what you mean, then the 6.0 is your deal. But im a 7.3 guy and idk if your up for putting out the money for a 6.4 because ive heard thats a fun play vehicle too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies!

If I do end up looking at this truck at the dealer, do you have any suggestions as to what I should look for? For instance, it's freezing outside. At cold startup the truck will smoke but at which point should I be concerned that the smoke is actually due to a mechanical issue (ie injector or whatever)??

I just want to make a smart, informed decision whether I buy the truck or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.