Looking to get a newer truck...need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looking to get a newer truck...need advice

I know this has been asked a hundred times but please entertain me.

I have a 2002 F250 (7.3) with 300k miles running better than the day I got her.
I could not be any happier with the truck over the years.

However, I want something newer and I have not kept up with diesel community in regards to 6.0 vs 6.4 vs 6.7.

I puller a rock crawler on a 2 axle trailer (approx 7500 lbs fully loaded) up and down mountains. I also pull a 26ft toy hauler (approx 10k loaded) up and down mountains here in Southern Ca.

What do you recommend? I have 25-30k to spend.

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Give me some cash to boot and I might trade you mine
Jer-1
Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER-1 View Post
Give me some cash to boot and I might trade you mine
Jer-1
Thanks for the offer, I am looking for SRW and not a LB. My wife hates parking the "limo truck".
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you be trading in or selling your 7.3? You may have a hard time getting into a 6.7L in your price range. I believe that good used ones will probably be closer to the 35k mark.

My vote is the 6.7 as I have one and love it. In fact, I've had it almost a year and over 24k miles and I'm still excited to get off work and drive it haha.

That being said, your truck is high mileage and trouble free. Bullet proof. It'd be a shame to hop into a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 and start having issues. I think out of the 3, the 6.7 is the most reliable, but as in all vehicles, there's always a bad one here and there. I def. wouldn't consider a 6.0 and the 6.4 is hit or miss a lot more than the 6.7.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
Would you be trading in or selling your 7.3? You may have a hard time getting into a 6.7L in your price range. I believe that good used ones will probably be closer to the 35k mark.

My vote is the 6.7 as I have one and love it. In fact, I've had it almost a year and over 24k miles and I'm still excited to get off work and drive it haha.

That being said, your truck is high mileage and trouble free. Bullet proof. It'd be a shame to hop into a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 and start having issues. I think out of the 3, the 6.7 is the most reliable, but as in all vehicles, there's always a bad one here and there. I def. wouldn't consider a 6.0 and the 6.4 is hit or miss a lot more than the 6.7.
6.0l is starting to gain a very favorable reputation for how inexpensive it is to bulletproof them and inexpensive to build HP. 6.4 and 6.7 is off the charts expensive for out of warranty repair. Just ask Bob Riley @Dieselsite. And quite a few threads with water in fuel issues n wiping out the hpfp. The new(er) ones are pretty nice, but the reliability is nowhere near the 7.3 yet.

For the money you have to spend, you would be way further ahead to redo/customize your 7.3 to freakin awesome. That's just me though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.