Buying a new F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a new F350

Hey,

I owned a 2004 Duramax, then in 2011 I switched to a 1/2 ton F150 ecoboost, My first ford. I really like the fords but the F150 is just not cutting it for me so i'm going back to diesel.

I want to use this truck mainly as a daily driver but i Ocassionally Offroad with it, i do spend a lot of time down gravel roads and trails getting my dirt bike around, I also tow a little, more in the winter. we try to make a few trips a year, trailer isn't usually over 6000 pounds but we have 12 sometimes 16 hours of driving.

The thing is i would like a 8" lift with 37" tires. My F150 is 6" and 35" tires, it burns soo much gas i can barely get between towns while towing. I have bottomed out the 6" a few times offroad and when in the sand it don't take long to get the truck down to the axles.

The thing i'm trying to figure out is how effcient can I get an 8" lifted truck to tow? as a daily driver my F150 behaves same as lifted as stock, it just can't tow anymore. I wonderig how i would have to re gear the the truck? 4.30 gears?? I'm not a fast driver i barely go over 110kmh or 70mph

My plan was 8" BDS 4 Link with fox shocks and leaf lift in the rear, no lift blocks. and full exhast with deletes, H&S tunner For wheels I planned on 20x12 -24mm XD bombs on 37" Dick FC tires. I currently have Micky T ATZ's great tires in summer, not so much in the winter.

Thanks for the Input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is the look I like, I'd rather the front be 1" lower, I don't like the saggy rear. Mine is also going to be either white or black.

This is my current truck,

Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you not care for the duramax?
Old 12-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I liked the dramax a lot, but I didn't think I needed to spend so much for another diesel, I switched to Ford for the ecoboost and a 6.5' bed. I use to get 4cyl car economy with the dramax, 20mpg easy
Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are several things to consider. In terms of range, that will be based on your fuel tank size as well as gas mileage.

If you want a short bed, it's going to be a 26 gallon tank. My range was around 370ish miles stock, and leveled with 35's it's about 320-330 miles. Granted, I fill up when it says 0 miles till empty and can only put in around 23 gallons, so I know I have a few left, just play it safe.

Titan makes a 50 gallon drop in replacement tank to replace the 26 gallon tank. Sounds like it would be worth it to you.

I believe the long beds have a 36 or 38 gallon tank but I'm not 100% sure. That would also be an option, if you wanted a long bed.

With the 8" lift and 37's my guess would be you'd get around 13-14 mpg without the engine mods (tuner/deletes) with the deletes around a 1.5-3 mpg increase depending on your foot and how your truck is. It seems every truck varies. Some people get 16 mpg stock, others get 20mpg. I think more of it has to do with peoples hand calculations (or lackthereof) as well as how they treat the skinny pedal.

As for what you tow in regards to weight, it will be cake for the new 6.7's. I only tow a 15k-16k lb 5th wheel. I only tow it a few times a year, but it certainly handles it. If I did it weekly or even monthly I'd want a dually, however.

Hope this answers a few questions, many members here know more than I do, but I've done a lot of research as well.

FYI, I'd probably even suggest a 6" lift with 37's. Really some people fit 37's on a leveling kit with a little work, and easily on a 4.5" you get too tall and it starts to dwarf the tires. Just my personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.