How Volatile Are 6.0's....Really??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Volatile Are 6.0's....Really???

Ok so I read EVERYWHERE how ****ty the 6.0's are. Blown head gaskets. Clogged oil coolers. HPOP. FICM. You name it! But how volatile are they really? My truck has 153,000 miles and has never had these problems. My truck is also stock and not tuned out to rip the pavement up under the tires. I would like to run a mild tune for better gas mileage but I'm afraid I'll blow my head gaskets out. So... How have your trucks been to you? Any problems? Have they been tuned? Deleted? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You already know the difference between perception and reality. The Eco tunes won't really put too much additional stress on a motor...the hot street tunes will.

I don't care what motor you have, pushing it to it's limits will break it eventually...
Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Truck's been great, bought it, put 12k on it and haven't had a lick of trouble. I think the 6.0 got a bad rep because it's a bit finicky and it came out during the heat of the diesel wars, where multiple injection add-ons and stacked tuners weren't uncommon, and that just added to the hype.

The second part is most truck owners (IMO) don't monitor/maintain their trucks as well as they should. Everyone got used to the 7.3 where all you had to do was change the oil every once in a while and fill it with diesel. With the oil cooler, EGR system, more finicky injectors, and other parts like the FICMs, maintenance on a 6.0 is a lot more important. If you're good about maintaining it, I doubt you'll ever have any trouble with it.

I deleted mine, more so as preventative maintenance than a performance upgrade. I could have just used an upgraded EGR cooler like BPDs, but this was cheaper and better for me. I'm still on the original oil cooler that was in the truck when I bought it and only have about 5-7 degree deltas. My FICM never had any problems, but it too got an upgrade because I found a deal on a BPD 6-phase unit that I couldn't refuse. But even still, I monitor FICM supply voltage.....I still have the stock head bolts too......thought I had lifted the heads once while towing 22k, but it ended up just cracking an injector.

It takes a better owner than one who just fills it up and changes the oil every now and again to get the best out of a 6.0. But if you treat her right she'll treat you right:thumb.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get you an egr delete, an upgraded oil cooler, and check for a bad headgaskets frequently, egr and oil coolers are fairly cheap and easy work, might want to pop in a blue spring, you can find those on ebay for about 60 or so, another easy task to prevent future damage, and Get you an sct tuner, get some custom tunes made just for your settup, a lot of different companies make custom tunes, thats my recommendation

Last edited by mySIXOisSick; 12-16-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys! I assumed a good maintenance schedule is the key to a healthy 6.0. I think I'll delete the EGR, monitor the vitals and order up an economy tune.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 AM

most of the bad rep is like pit bulls and rotwillers...just a few stupid people make the most noise. like others have said, just understand the common fail points and know what to do to avoid/help them. The only bad part is to get rid/fix all the known issues it aint cheap.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21480 View Post
Thanks guys! I assumed a good maintenance schedule is the key to a healthy 6.0. I think I'll delete the EGR, monitor the vitals and order up an economy tune.
Good maintenance and watching gauges is important with these trucks, i honestly would pick a 6.0 over anything, but on regards of your truck, id definitely be looking at headstuds and new oem gaskets too, dont mess with black onx gaskets, heard nothing but bad about them, but if youve been stock with no issues for this long, sounds like you have a solid truck

Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive been wondering the same thing about these engines. As a daily driver with few mods and no crazy tunes plus heavy towing how will they hold up? Is it safe to say if the engine has already done 100,000+ miles that it's pretty solid?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon View Post
Ive been wondering the same thing about these engines. As a daily driver with few mods and no crazy tunes plus heavy towing how will they hold up? Is it safe to say if the engine has already done 100,000+ miles that it's pretty solid?
Mine hit 114,000 when it had its forst problem, the egr went out, i went ahead and popped an oil cooler exhaust and programmer on it, only problem ive had since is fuel pump went bad and ficms

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.