Strange "Thumping" Sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange "Thumping" Sound

Hey guys. New here! I bought a '01 F250 2WD 7.3 PSD with just under 301,000 in mid September, 2013. It's needed some work to be done on it, most of which I've been able to do myself like new shocks, new rear brake pads, new rear rotors, new glow plug relay, new windshield wiper motor, new door lock actuators on all four doors, new keyless remote (didn't come with one).
Since I bought the truck, I've noticed a "thumping" sound from what seems to be the rear end. I usually only really notice it when I'm going at a somewhat slower speed, say, under 25-30 mph. It slows as the truck slows if I'm coming to a stop and stops when I'm stopped.
I haven't done anything to the front brakes, rotors or calipers and the rear calipers seem to be working like they should since I just had a buddy of mine replace the pads and rotors on the rear.
Any ideas? Could it be one of the calipers? ABS?
I have no lights on on the dash other than the charge light, which comes on occasionally. I'll probably have to replace the alternator pretty soon but it seems to be doing the job for now.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Jim in Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you checked the u-joints?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

I would check for bearing end play out of the transmission, transfer case, and into the rear end.
I was freaked out years ago on my old pickup and thought my transfer case was on its way out, turned out to be as silly as my rear brake pads were un evenly wearing down. i had a caliper that had intermittently seized in and out on me
Good Luck
Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Have you checked the u-joints?
No I haven't. I'm not very familiar with what to look for, I just know what and where they are. Lol
what should I be looking for?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It dawned on me I should probably add the following info:
I had the tires balanced and rotated about a month ago and it seems that the noise got worse after I had that done.
It seems like the noise is coming from the rear part of the truck somewhere-at least that what it sounds like to me when I'm in the driver's seat.
The whole truck has a strong vibration that is most noticeable when I'm doing about 30 mph, and hardly noticeable when I'm going 40+ mph.
I don't feel any pulsing or anything out of the ordinary in the brake pedal at any time.
I know the tires could stand to be replaced - they're not bald by any means but getting to the end of their lives.
Could the tires make a thumping sound or could it possibly be a caliper?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would check the carrier bearing. I had one go out of my truck about a year a go and it would be fine driving down the high way, but at slow speeds could feel and hear the vibration. It took a while to diagnose it too.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Premium Member

I would start with simple and work my way into it.

Start with the quick basics. Tire pressure, check the oil and ATF levels. Are all your tire studs tight?

Have you hit anything recently in the truck? Potholes, curbs ect

Check wheel bearings for play, rear end for slip or clicking by jacking up the rear end and manually turning a rear tire back and forth to feel clicking in the spider gearing

It may be right and as simple as one of your tires was balanced wrong or you lost a balancing weight. Also I've seen water get into a tire (either by evil prank, or poor shop skills leak checking a tire)

Does the symptom have anything to do with outdoor temperature? Water in the tire will freeze and shake a tire but do little when it's not frozen

I'm assuming you have radial tires and not bias ply. It could also be possible if you're tires are in that rough of shape that you have a broken band in your tire (though unlikely)

Sounds likes it's time to lay on your back and get the jack out and do some digging. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to go ahead and replace the carrier bearing and u-joints (since I'm already going to have it down and apart). I've never done anything to this magnitude but I've watched videos on youtube and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal.
One question though, in the videos that I've watched it didn't show anything about the "boot" that's on the driveshaft or what's inside of it. Is there something I should be doing with it since I'm going to have the shaft off anyways?
I've gotten under the truck today and took some pics of the driveshaft as it stands today. It doesn't look like the u-joints have been replaced by looking at it, but, then again, the truck is 13 years old with 303,000 on it now. Since I'm the 3rd owner, who knows!
Thanks again for the help guys.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Strange "Thumping" Sound-20131210_115624.jpg   Strange "Thumping" Sound-20131210_115641.jpg   Strange "Thumping" Sound-20131210_115646.jpg   Strange "Thumping" Sound-20131210_115711.jpg   Strange "Thumping" Sound-20131210_115725.jpg  

Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, time for an update.
My buddy and I removed the two part driveshaft and replaced the u-joints and carrier bearing and reinstalled it on Friday.
After test driving it, no more thumping OR vibration!
One piece of advice to those who are going to replace the u-joints, though - wait until you get ready to reinstall the clamps (once you get the driveshaft in place) on the u-joints by the carrier bearing to put the needle bearing back onto the u-joint.
What happened to us is the needle bearings kept falling off the u-joint and we ended up with needle bearings all over the place because the cap fell off! We had to make sure that we found all of the needle bearings and put them all back where they belonged inside the housing - pain in da butt!
I still have some noise when I get up to around 55-60 mph, but I think that it's coming from the tires, which need to be replaced. I'm just thankful that the truck isn't vibrating like it was and thumping!
Thanks for the advice, guys!
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.