Paint repair. It's that time! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint repair. It's that time!

This morning somebody ran me off the road and I had to swipe a mailbox. It was either that or hit the car Long story short, I broke the mirror glass on my passenger side window and put a nice, thick, 6 inch long scratch on the door. The scratch is down to the bare metal so I have to do something about it fairly quickly before the soon-to-be-here winter salt is on the roads.

I have this large scratch, a few large rusty scratches/chips along my rear wheel wells, and some rust starting to form along the inside bottom of the doors. I'm too cheap to take it to a body shop, so I think I am going to tackle the repairs myself. I'm not looking for perfectly unnoticeable repairs, just to stop any more rust from forming and make it look "good". I've done paint repairs on my track mustang before and it turned out excellent, I'm just curious if you guys have any more suggestions for me before I tackle this project. I'm am def. not an expert at body work!

I know I can get a quality factory matched basecoat in spray cans, as well as a quality clearcoat and primer in spray cans. I have a fairly large garage for my track cars where I am going to setup a temporary "paint booth" to keep the dust to a minimum. Here is the process I am going to use:

1. Clean the affected area with a mild detergant soap and water
2. Mask the area off that is to be repainted
3. Sand the area to be primed with 2000 grit sandpaper
4. Wipe area with a mild detergant soap and water
5. Use a cheese cloth or other clean rag to remove any dust
6. Spray primer the area, let dry
7. Sand the area with 2000 grit sandpaper until it is level
8. Reapply the primer if needed and repeat the sanding after drying
9. Clean the area with a mild detergant and water, and then use a cheese cloth or other clean rag to remove any remaining dust
10. Spray the basecoat, let dry
11. Sand the area with 2000 grit sandpaper until level
12. Spray another basecoat, let dry
13. Sand the area with 2000 grit sandpaper until level with the rest of the paint
14. Spray another basecoat if the paint is still not level with the surrounding paint, otherwise
move to step 14.
15. Clean the area with a mild detergant and water, and then use cheese cloth or other clean rag
16. Spray clear coat, let dry overnight (not sure if I should spray two coats of clear, or just one)
17. Remove the masking tape
18. Use 3m rubbing compound to blend with existing clear coat
19. Use 3m polishing compount if more final buffing is needed (to match existing paints gloss)
20. Wax the vehicle

Think this process will work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.