Road Rhino Weld It Yourself Offroad Bumpers. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Road Rhino Weld It Yourself Offroad Bumpers.

So I wanted to do a small write up on my experience with the bumpers I purchased and installed on my truck.
I have always wanted to do big beefy offroad bumpers on my trucks in the past just never had the funds(more like wanted to spend them) for the big name bumpers. So after modding etc a few other powerstrokes and purchasing my current truck (2008 F350) and doing some bumper research I came across these bumpers on Ebay. The bumper kit is a weld it yourself kit offered by Road Rhino. I thought this was nice alterantive because i love to do fabrication and over the years have been testing my skills with welding everything from smoothing mustang engine bays to exhaust stack bedplate kits. I contacted Elijah via email to inquire about a front/rear kit for my truck. His responses were very quick in regards to all of my questions I had before ordering. Went ahead and had him sent me and invoice for the bumpers and recieved that same day. Paid for them on 07/16/13. Had a tracking number for all 3 packages for my pieces on 07/26/13. Recieved everything from the shipping company(fed-ex) 07/30/13.

I eagerly opened all the boxes. To look at my parts. I was actually quite surprised at how complete the rear bumper came from them. I was expecting there to be a lot of pieces to have to put together like the front had.
The big piece you see in the middle is how complete the rear came. Still along ways to go.

I gathered all the pieces for the rear bumper and got to work.

Started by tack welding the essential pieces into place based on some of the measurements for the placement of the brackets inside the bumper per what Elijah had sent me.

Then began tacking on the outer pieces, end caps, and other pieces I would have to make sure cleared the body of my truck before final welds were made.

Here they are in a test fitting. After I verified they fit well, cleared on both sides, gaps were similar, etc. I proceeded to finish the welds inside an out. I laid my bead inside the bumper to be the support weld the outside welds I wasn't too concerned with appearance as they'd be ground down and smoothed. They were just a filler weld. The rear bumper brackets needed to be measured as to where they were welded. Elijah sent me a PDF which explained precisely where the brackets should be welded.

Last edited by slowcoupe; 12-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Then came the start of my front bumper. Followed the instructions as per the papers that came with my bumpers. Tack welded the outmoded pieces together. Then tacked those to the large middle section. Then began to tack the smaller pieces onto that.

This is the final result of tack welds.

The front bumper brackets only go in one place. As do the light ports, and winch backing plates.

Finished all the inside and outside welds. Ground down and smooth the face of the bumper. Front bumper is now complete.

For all of the brackets to mount the bumpers to the truck they also need to be welded. They are tacked together by road rhino however I went ahead and fully welded the entire bracket up for strength and safety.

Now came the decision for a coating. I decided on UPOL raptor liner. I had previously done a lot of research on a liner for the use inside my 75 classic bronco restomod. I noticed people were using this do it yourself 2 part kit and decided to give it a shot. The kit comes with 4 containers of the liner, a can of hardener that you mix into each container of liner before use and a spray gun. The gun just hooks up to your air compressor in which I used my 32gallon.

Here in the pictures you see the bumpers coated with a acid etch primer since I was spraying onto bare steel. As per upol website the state if applying to bare metal to first apply some kind of etching primer.

After letting the primer flash I decided to go ahead and give the coating a shot. I placed a tarp underneath where I was going to spray. The liner overspray did make a mess so I would recommend you place something down if doing in your garage or driveway.

Here is a small video of how well the liner coats and the pattern that it comes out in.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...psfddcd5a5.mp4

Bumpers are sprayed. Now just need to dry.

Removed my factory bumpers. Front bumper comes off by unplugging the harness from the fog light plugins. There are about 6 Christmas tree clips you will have to remove from the bumper that holds the factory harness from hanging down. Also there is one other clip you'll need to remove if you have a factory block warmer plug as I do.

Then remove the 2 bolts on each side that hold the black or chrome front tow hooks in place. There is also 2 more bolts underneath that holds a bracket from the bumper to the truck. One on each side. NOTE: I would recommend placing a tall bucket or a cooler under one side of the bumper as you remove the other side bolts so that the bumper doesn't fall and damage the bumper.

The rear bumper is very easy. Unclip the harness from the bumper that powers your license plate lights. There are 2 bolts on each side at the frame rail that need removed and the bumper will come down. For support I undid one side and let the bumper sit on the tow receiver. Bumper isn't very heavy just be careful that it's balanced on the receiver as you undo the other side.

Below are just a few pictures of the removal of the front bumper and mounting of the brackets for my new bumper.

Bumper removed.

First bracket installed. Do not tighten bolts at this time as they are needed for adjustment and alignment of bumpers.

Second installed.

My weld on one of the front brackets. After paint.

Front bumper about to go on

Rear bumper installed.

Front bumper installed. Got two of the fog lights installed. Still gotta wire the other two to one of my upfitters.

Overall very happy with my experience with these bumpers. The fitment and quality of materials was spot on. The customer service was excellent. Elijah was very prompt in responding to my emails about questions I had for where a certain piece went or measurements for placement of brackets. He even went as far as taking pictures of the inside I a completed bumper in shop to show me where and how certain pieces went together. This is something I can honestly say I appreciate and look for in a company. I would highly recommend these to anyone who's looking for big offroad bumpers at a not big bumper company price.

Road rhino also offers these as a tacked together piece, completely welded and bare or complete bumpers. I opted for the WIY kit because over the years I've been honing my skills and decided I'd like to give these a shot. Turned out to be exactly what I had hoped and they finished product was exactly what I had hoped for. Thanks for reading all.

Last edited by slowcoupe; 12-04-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Awesome write up bud. Great job for a novice welder.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree, turned out really nice. I hate how some aftermarket bumpers are so huge looking. Those look more proportional.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have looked at these as well. they appeared to be nice, but never saw anyone do one.

I was thinking about it for my younger brother to do as a project. Hes going through welding school. It would be good practice for him.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM

What do you figure total money you have in them?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Wow those look great...I'm say as you I've wanted beefy bumpers for as long as I can remember but the price tag has been to much for me...might take a look into these...
Old 12-05-2013, 12:34 AM

Nice work. I like the design, and the fact that it is a bumper kit so it can improve/test your welding skills.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 AM

good write up.... i found my bumper used otheriwse i would of made one. how much you have into it? time? consumables? having a weld instection cert i will say you were too cold on welding it. will be fine untill you hit something. if you ever do make sure you check the brackets for cracks most likely they will crack apart.. even over the course of 30k miles just from bouncing up and down depending on the weight of it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Thanks guys. I really would recommend looking into these if you want some nice offroad bumpers. I'm so happy I did. I just can't wait to get her up in the air on the lift and the wheels that I have just sitting in my spare bedroom. After that ill be doing a southbend twin disc.

As far as the fusion of the 2 metals. I'm pretty sure I'll be alright. I have welded subframe connectors and torque box reinforcements into multiple mustangs that have taken way more abuse at the track than my bumper will ever see. I chamfered the edges of a few of the pieces that when fit together didn't have as much of a space for fusion of the 2 pieces as I would have liked. I had a buddy of mine giving me a hand holding some pieces the very first day I started and what not. Well he told his dad about the bumpers (both of whom just purchased a set each for their big trucks) his dad decided to stop by and take a look at them. He commended me on my welding ability and actually asked where I learned. He's been welding here locally for 40 some odd years. The outside welds like I stated I wasn't too concerned about. The welds inside were my penetrating welds that were there for strength. I'll see if I have some better pictures of the inside welds. They were very flat and when I flipped the bumper over the penetration looked great to us. But I will keep an eye on the brackets as you suggested.

Time into the bumpers said and done welding,grinding, priming, painting I'd say about 25 hours.

As far as monetary costs. I already had the 10lb spool of wire feed, and tons of various grinding discs from previous projects. The only thing I did purchase was a pack of variety drill wire brushes from harbor freight. Cost me 6.99. I purchased the UPOL raptor liner on amazon which cost $110 shipped and the acid etch primer was another $20. So overall besides the initial cost of the bumper nothing really set me back too much and the hours I have into the bumper were fun hours. I stored the bumpers at my folks house and would just come over when I had a chance to work on them and my dad would come out and give me a hand and watch what I was doing so I enjoyed every minute of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.