1995 F350 coolant choices - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 F350 coolant choices

I have very recently purchased my first diesel. It is a 1995 F350 crew cab 4x4 automatic.
I have been doing various maintenance items on the vehicle and have come to the coolant.
Reading on-line, there appears to be issues with corrosion in the engine caused by "cavitation" which typically has been remedied by using a coolant additive.

I have also read that there is a new extended life coolant which does not require the additive.

I am a chemist by profession and am very interested in the chemistry associate with these coolants.

It seems that the key component in the additive is nitrate ion which needs to be tested for on a regular basis.

For the extended life cool the key component is Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate (see CHEVRON DELO EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE PG msds)
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

I have also read on-line that you cannot use the GM Dexcool coolant in these diesel engines. However, if you look at the msds sheet for Dexcool (see DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant msds)
https://media.toro.com/Documents/safety/104-8606.pdf

it also includes only Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate as the active ingredient. Dexcool also includes diethylene glycol but that chemical serves the same function as ethylene glycol which both Delo and Dexcool contain and would not affect corrosion.

My question is has anyone used Dexcool in their early 7.3 powerstroke engines since it is much more readily available than the Delo coolant?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flj View Post
I have very recently purchased my first diesel. It is a 1995 F350 crew cab 4x4 automatic.
I have been doing various maintenance items on the vehicle and have come to the coolant.
Reading on-line, there appears to be issues with corrosion in the engine caused by "cavitation" which typically has been remedied by using a coolant additive.

I have also read that there is a new extended life coolant which does not require the additive.

I am a chemist by profession and am very interested in the chemistry associate with these coolants.

It seems that the key component in the additive is nitrate ion which needs to be tested for on a regular basis.

For the extended life cool the key component is Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate (see CHEVRON DELO EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE PG msds)

I have also read on-line that you cannot use the GM Dexcool coolant in these diesel engines. However, if you look at the msds sheet for Dexcool (see DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant msds)

it also includes only Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate as the active ingredient. Dexcool also includes diethylene glycol but that chemical serves the same function as ethylene glycol which both Delo and Dexcool contain and would not affect corrosion.

My question is has anyone used Dexcool in their early 7.3 powerstroke engines since it is much more readily available than the Delo coolant?

Thanks.
What about using this stuff?

Zerex G-05

Zerex 1 Gallon G-05 Antifreeze & Coolant - ZXG051
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

Thanks.
I just found Delo pre-mixed coolant available locally for $10.86 per gallon. The concentrate is $19.33 per gallon so I do not see much benefit in going that way.
Hopefully this will work in my truck and I will never have to change the coolant again.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Im about to do a flush on my 95 and im going to use this Buy Peak Fleet Charge Antifreeze/Coolant (125 oz.) FCA0B3 at Advance Auto Parts

Its precharged with SCAs which is the additive needed to prevent rust and cavitation.

You need to get a concentrate not premixed because you are unable to remove 100% of all the coolant trapped in the engines various places so in order to maintain a 50/50 mix you fix with half with concentrate then top off with distilled water and that will yield as close to 50/50 as you can realistically get
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Im about to do a flush on my 95 and im going to use this Buy Peak Fleet Charge Antifreeze/Coolant (125 oz.) FCA0B3 at Advance Auto Parts

Its precharged with SCAs which is the additive needed to prevent rust and cavitation.

You need to get a concentrate not premixed because you are unable to remove 100% of all the coolant trapped in the engines various places so in order to maintain a 50/50 mix you fix with half with concentrate then top off with distilled water and that will yield as close to 50/50 as you can realistically get
Thanks for the info.

If you go to the Peak web site PEAK COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL | FLEET CHARGE | HEAVY DUTY COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE | FAQS

They make the following statements:

Q: Is FLEET CHARGEŽ an "extended life" coolant?

A: The term "long life" usually is associated with coolants that contain carboxylic acid inhibitors. Therefore, we have described FLEET CHARGEŽ as a Fill-For-Life technology.

Q: What is meant by the term Fill-For-Life technology?

A: The Fill-for-Life alternative provides for easy, low cost monitoring of the coolant inhibitor and freeze protection levels. Fill-For-Life is an extended service maintenance program developed by FLEET CHARGEŽ and Penray researchers. It is very simple. Users simply install a Penray Need-Release filter on an engine coolant system (up to 30 gallons). Every 18 months the filter is replaced. This practice eliminates scheduled coolant changes.

From what I read, you must install and use a special filter to be able to use this coolant. Need ReleaseŽ Extended Life Cooling System Filters | PenrayPenray

If you read the MSDS sheet for the Fleet Charge Coolant

http://images.peakauto.com/Fleet%20C...v%20052013.pdf
you see that it contains no additives at all. It is just ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol to prevent freezing/boiling and a small amount of a chemical to make it taste bitter so you don't drink it and get poisoned. All of the SCA comes from the filters that you install.

I still like the idea of the Delo ELC which seems to be more or less fill and forget. Diesel Coolant, Delo Prediluted & Extended Life Antifreeze - Delo - (United States)

Just check the freeze point twice per year.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

If you go to the Peak web site PEAK COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL | FLEET CHARGE | HEAVY DUTY COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE | FAQS

They make the following statements:

Q: Is FLEET CHARGEŽ an "extended life" coolant?

A: The term "long life" usually is associated with coolants that contain carboxylic acid inhibitors. Therefore, we have described FLEET CHARGEŽ as a Fill-For-Life technology.

Q: What is meant by the term Fill-For-Life technology?

A: The Fill-for-Life alternative provides for easy, low cost monitoring of the coolant inhibitor and freeze protection levels. Fill-For-Life is an extended service maintenance program developed by FLEET CHARGEŽ and Penray researchers. It is very simple. Users simply install a Penray Need-Release filter on an engine coolant system (up to 30 gallons). Every 18 months the filter is replaced. This practice eliminates scheduled coolant changes.

From what I read, you must install and use a special filter to be able to use this coolant. Need ReleaseŽ Extended Life Cooling System Filters | PenrayPenray

If you read the MSDS sheet for the Fleet Charge Coolant

http://images.peakauto.com/Fleet%20C...v%20052013.pdf
you see that it contains no additives at all. It is just ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol to prevent freezing/boiling and a small amount of a chemical to make it taste bitter so you don't drink it and get poisoned. All of the SCA comes from the filters that you install.

I still like the idea of the Delo ELC which seems to be more or less fill and forget. Diesel Coolant, Delo Prediluted & Extended Life Antifreeze - Delo - (United States)

Just check the freeze point twice per year.
What you may or may not know is you cant use any ELC coolants in a truck made before 2/2/99 because they werent designed for ELCs. They will eat away at the injector cups and seals in the water pump because they arent compatible. That being said there are a few guys that do run it but i dont think theres any conclusive results from that.

The only coolant approved for our trucks is the Ethylene-glycol coolant and then to prevent rust and corrosion you need to add SCA additive(which fleet charge comes with already added) then maintain SCA levels every year or 15,000 miles after.

Im no chemist by trade like you but im personally going to go with what has been done since these trucks were rolled out since it seems to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.