Talk me out of wanting a duramax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talk me out of wanting a duramax

Hey guys, I have a 99 7.3 that I'm selling and want to get a 6.4 but I'm considering going with a duramax instead. I love fords but I like Chevy too. I like that I can do intake, exhaust and tuner on a 6.4 and be at 500-600 hp but I can be at that with a duramax too, just have to get a few other things. The main thing I don't like about the 6.4s is having to remove the cab to do work on it. So if any of guys were in the same boat as me and went with the 6.4 tell me why you went ford instead of Chevy. I like both trucks but just unsure what to do.
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Don't you worry about it

3 words... solid front axle. Among other things, the chevys and GMC's are just plain cheap. The wiring and interiors fall apart. They start to rattle and squeak. I got in my buddies duramax and he had silverware sticking out below his dash. I said what the hell is that and he told me it was forks holding his HVAC electrical connections together. Also his 2 outer cab lights are out and when you smack the drivers side on the passenger side lights up and vise versa lol. You couldn't give me a duramax.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am an 11-year duramax owner with 220000+ miles. Bottom line, I love the truck. It has been relatively flawless (its an 03 and has had 2 sets of injectors). The interior and exterior are tight other than where my fat butt has worn out drivers seat and headliner is just starting to curl on edges by drivers window.

Power and driveability are awesome, and the new trucks are way better. My truck has outlived half a dozen Fords owned by buddies. I get 19 mpg average and on my duramax forum guys are reporting better mpg on the LML platform.

Another plus to GM is that the duramax/Allison platform is still fundamentally unchanged in over 15 years now. Ford has had what, 4 different displacements in that time?

That said, I joined this forum because I am seriously considering a new Ford truck. I just bought a Ford CMax for a commuter care and have been impressed, so I figure Fords have come a long way.

The only downside to the GM is the front suspension and low slung frame. It is not even moderately off road friendly when stock. I miss my solid axle Dodge and the old twin I-beam on my F-250.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you buy a Duramax, you won't be in a Ford. That's a scientifically proven fact. You don't wanna mess with Science!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM

I'd keep the 7.3 lol
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
hahahaha laugh at IFS, you buy a durapad, that will be one big mistake!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

I haven't heard of any of those interior problems happening with any of my friends. And yeah the solid front axle is another reason why I like fords. My cousin is all about duramax and keeps trying to get me to get one instead of a 6.4. He's all about pulling tho and if I get a 6.4 I won't be pulling it at all, or I'll at least wait til it's paid off. Now if I get a duramax that's a different story lol
The thing that's really turning me away from a 6.4 is the fact that you have to pull the cab. I don't have a lift to be able to do that and I'm the kind of guy that likes to work on my truck myself

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Don't you worry about it

Sled pulling with a duramax?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Yup! That's all that pulls around, that does good anyway. The only way for me to be competitve is if I get a duramax or 6.4 and I don't really want to pull with a 6.4

Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Don't you worry about it

Wow around here its mainly cummins then powerstrokes and a few duramaxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.