Some fuel math 4 U - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Blowin Smoke
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some fuel math 4 U

For all of us who are beding over and taking it at the pump these days, there's no doubt we've all considered getting a little Geo Metro to daily drive and save on gas. I know in my area (Colorado Springs CO) the sale of 50-150cc scooters alone has gone through the roof! I know we're all grown here (some only by age) so no one needs to tell us what we already know, but here's some math to reassure you that driving your PSD at $4+ a gallon isn't the end of the world.

I use these numbers all the time to show people I know that I big truck is still worth it, especially with the deals you can find on them right now.

My constants for this math are:
15,000 miles a year driving.
Gas cost figured at $3.85/gal
Diesel cost figured at $4.50/gal

On a 30MPG(average) clown car it takes 500 gallons a year.
500 gals X $3.85 =$1925 yearly fuel cost (if you never drive your truck again)

On a 16MPG(average) PSD truck it takes 937.5 gallons a year.
937.5 gals X $4.50 =$4218.75 yearly fuel cost (to drive your truck daily)

Difference is $2293.75 a year which comes out to a $191 more a month to drive your PSD everyday. That's only $6 a day more!

There's no way at $2200 a year you can justify the costs of an additional vehicle, additional insurance, additional maintenance, etc.....for $6 a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!


 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fletcher, NC
Posts: 16,484
Thanks: 52
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice figuring. I like the way you think! I tell people I cant justify the buying of a new car just to get better MPG. I also tell them when they need something hauled, dont call me, I will be letting my truck sit to save money since it cost so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cherryvale
Posts: 1,628
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice>.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Big Daddy!
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spring/Tomball
Posts: 1,333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I look at it this way ....

My little brother drives an Infinity G35 .. The car weighs 3000'ish pound .... it gets 26 mpg on the highway.

I drive an F250 CC 4x4 it weighs 8000'ish pounds ... it gets 23.6 mpg on the highway.

The infinity gets @ 1mpg for every 116 pounds of vehicle...

"The Big Girl" gets @ 1mpg for ever 338 pounds of vehicle...

Also a Diesel is MUCH Greener than a gas Hybrid ANY day !! It has a 40% smaller carbon footprint than a similar sized gas vehicle, and there is no NiMH batteries that consumables! Not to mention having to maintain 2 drive terrains....

All folks see is that Diesel is over $4.00 a gallon ...

All this said, and my company pays for most of my fuel anyhow ...

Bob~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: murfreesboro TN.
Posts: 887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well said, I don't care if diesel gets to $10 a gal. i'm not parking my truck and damn sure not driving a ricer punk car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: pa
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic355 View Post
For all of us who are beding over and taking it at the pump these days, there's no doubt we've all considered getting a little Geo Metro to daily drive and save on gas. I know in my area (Colorado Springs CO) the sale of 50-150cc scooters alone has gone through the roof! I know we're all grown here (some only by age) so no one needs to tell us what we already know, but here's some math to reassure you that driving your PSD at $4+ a gallon isn't the end of the world.

I use these numbers all the time to show people I know that I big truck is still worth it, especially with the deals you can find on them right now.

My constants for this math are:
15,000 miles a year driving.
Gas cost figured at $3.85/gal
Diesel cost figured at $4.50/gal

On a 30MPG(average) clown car it takes 500 gallons a year.
500 gals X $3.85 =$1925 yearly fuel cost (if you never drive your truck again)

On a 16MPG(average) PSD truck it takes 937.5 gallons a year.
937.5 gals X $4.50 =$4218.75 yearly fuel cost (to drive your truck daily)

Difference is $2293.75 a year which comes out to a $191 more a month to drive your PSD everyday. That's only $6 a day more!

There's no way at $2200 a year you can justify the costs of an additional vehicle, additional insurance, additional maintenance, etc.....for $6 a day!
thanks for that, it makes me feel a lot better about driving my truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Williamsburg, Ohio
Posts: 1,049
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikktruk01 View Post
Well said, I don't care if diesel gets to $10 a gal. i'm not parking my truck and damn sure not driving a ricer punk car.
Me neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 11,529
Thanks: 11
Thanked 100 Times in 94 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like your write up!! I always have thought that stuff, but it's good to see it in print!!

Some of us from work were going to lunch in my truck. One of the guys, who happens to own a small car, asked me if I have considered getting a small car for commuting and just keep the truck for towing my 5th wheel. I replied that I'm making a payment on the truck w/insurance (which would have to continue), so making another payment / insurance would take extra money. I told him that for that kind of money I could easily buy the diesel fuel I need to run the truck. He just grunted as if I should have agreed with his suggestion.

Whatever!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bolton
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcarmel View Post
I look at it this way ....

My little brother drives an Infinity G35 .. The car weighs 3000'ish pound .... it gets 26 mpg on the highway.

I drive an F250 CC 4x4 it weighs 8000'ish pounds ... it gets 23.6 mpg on the highway.

The infinity gets @ 1mpg for every 116 pounds of vehicle...

"The Big Girl" gets @ 1mpg for ever 338 pounds of vehicle...

Also a Diesel is MUCH Greener than a gas Hybrid ANY day !! It has a 40% smaller carbon footprint than a similar sized gas vehicle, and there is no NiMH batteries that consumables! Not to mention having to maintain 2 drive terrains....

All folks see is that Diesel is over $4.00 a gallon ...

All this said, and my company pays for most of my fuel anyhow ...

Bob~!
Thats what I always tell people that call my truck a guzzler. Technically these trucks are some of the most EFFICIENT vehicles on the road. Lets see how much fuel your car takes when its 8000+ lbs plus trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors