Need help pickin a truck, 6.0 or 6.4 please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help pickin a truck, 6.0 or 6.4 please

Hey guys and gals I know its been discussed a lot but Im reading a lot of different views. Im gettin rid of my gasser and goin back to the almighty diesel world. Im debating on two trucks.. and ill be purchasing one next week or the following. so id like to input and guidance please

First is a 06 f250 ccsb king ranch. it has a new 6.0 motor with 9k miles, body has 131k. it has egr delete and head studs, and lifted 6' with 35s. i plan to get a bigger turbo, injectors, etc for it to give it some power. (dang do straight pipe 6oh's sound good!) price $18k OR...

an 08 f250 ccsb 6.4 with 105k. its tuned with an h&s mini maxx with the race tunes, s&b intake, and egr deleted and has a 5" straight pipe and egr delete. price $25.5

both are very nice and clean trucks. which would you guys pick? its gonna be my daily driver but also towing occasionally, especially once the spring and summer rolls around. Thanks!!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I do love my 6.0. For me its a awesome daily driver and a mule when it comes to towing. But the 6.4 is a well know power monster. Both trucks are known for their issues. The 6.0 probably a bit more. But Im not a guy who beleives all the hype. For me these 2 trucks would come down to the price (given that I know they are both healthy). $7500 is a big ole chunk of change. If you got the 6.0 and invested the diffrence man you could have a heck of a truck.
But before I bought either one Id get a monitor on them and read up on how to use it and what to look for. That alone could be the deciding factor. Keep us informed on what you get!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the 6.0 is a new motor and studs I would jump on that. I have no experience with the 6.4 but it does have a nicer interior

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If I did the 6.0 I'd get a barder stage 3 or rcd 68mm powermax with 190/100 or 225/100 injectors. Decisions decisions lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think I'm gonna go with the 6.0, with that extra money I can play with it and turn it into a beast

Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am kind of in Tims position. I currently drive a Jeep Commander gas engine. I borrowed my Sons 08 GMC 6.6 Duramax/Allison 3500 for a trip to WV. Towing, hauling etc. Fell in love. However, I have been a Ford man for most of my life and need help making a decision: I have been looking around for used Excursions and or F250s to tow 2x a year, and will probably have to be my daily driver. I have heard a lot of noise about the 6.0 and oil cooler issues, head bolt/gaskets issues and just need some direction. I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to back up too far, since my current vehicle is an 08. I have seen a few 03-04 Excursions with the 6.0 and under 100k miles and was wondering what to look for as far as what upgrades would be good to have as far as the oil cooler and or other parts that could be replaced to help the reliability of the 6.0. I was also interested in some of the newer F250s with the 6.4 twin turbo but have heard some bad reviews on some of the newer model years being fuel hogs when going into the "regeneration mode" for the soot/particulate canister. Be gentle with me, I know I mentioned Jeep and GMC in a Ford forum!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 AM

both motors are great once deleted and bullet proofed the 6.0 is great I have an 04 after I finally did the deletes and added a coolant filtration kit I doubt I will run into any more huge problems, with a 6.0 maintance is key. the 6.4 is also a great motor had less problems then the 6.0 but still requires good maintance once you do the deletes on the 6.4 especially the dpf and get a mini maxx your fuel millage will increase a bunch.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been debating it but I'm gettin a 6.0. Yea you have to put money into it (headstuds if you run a big tune, egr delete, oil cooler, flush the ford coolant, etc etc) but it's a more powerful 7.3 once that's done. The trannys are strong and I love the sound. A 6.4 is beautiful in my eyes and makes crazy power tuned and deleted but requires cab off for most repairs and can get costly quick! Get a 6.0 and bulletproof it and be on top of the maintenance!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Tom1216 any luck finding a 6.0 yet ?? What state do u live. I know a guy w/07 F 350 king ranch 6.0 all bullet proofing done !!! Truck is super clean truck is in S.E. Mi
Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro fuzz View Post
Tom1216 any luck finding a 6.0 yet ?? What state do u live. I know a guy w/07 F 350 king ranch 6.0 all bullet proofing done !!! Truck is super clean truck is in S.E. Mi
Yea I kind of did. I'm in PA but can you pm me some info and pics? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.