Hi, `02 F350 7.3L..some pics and questions and stuff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi, `02 F350 7.3L..some pics and questions and stuff

hi guys, i've posted a couple of topics before when i was buying my truck..
again i appologize if this is in the wrong section...i'm not allowed to post in the 7.3L general discussion for some reason...so maybe if a mod sees this they can help me out here?

ok, anyway, i'm assuming UBB code works on this forum so hopefully my pictures show up...first i'll introduce myself and show my truck. my name's bill, i'm from rockland county, ny. i have a green `02 F350 automatic crew cab short box 7.3L with 145,000 miles on it...the tranny was rebuilt at 90,000 miles. it's my new daily driver/tow rig since i've taken my jeep off the road to overhaul it. it has a 4" exhaust from the manifold back...no cat (which i guess is normal for 7.3's?) it has an AFE magnum flow air intake and has a gauge cluster with tranny temp, exhaust temp, and boost. it has 33" open country A/T's on 16" rims. here's some pics...

and for those interrested, here's a couple pics of the jeep it will be pulling, and some of the stuff i'm doing to the jeep...

ok, that's enough...ok, i have some questions for you diesel gurus...i'm mechanically inclined and i'm a truck driver so i know a bit about diesels...but never worked on them myself... i've read that you guys are generally getting 15-20 mpgs with these trucks...i'm getting more likeley closer to 10 mpgs...now i only do city driving...generally 30-40 mph. what can i do to get to 15 mpg's or better? i've read that custom chips that can be gotten from a couple guys on this forum are the way to go...what kind of added power and fuel economy gains can i expect from one of these chips? and what kind of prices do these custom burned chips go for? also i see alot of guys use Quadzilla controllers...is this what i should get too?

on tuesday i will know for sure how many mpgs i'm getting when i fill it up and see the fuel consumption...i don't trust the gauge...i'm assuming my fuel tank is 40 gallons...is this correct? i hope i'm wrong and it's only 30 gallons as that would make a big difference in my estimated mpg.
also...what was the stock tire size on these trucks? i hope the 33" is bigger then stock by a few inches which would mean my trip meter would be showing less miles then i've actually gone.

my air filter is absolutely filthy...and i'm cleaning this afe with k&n cleaner...i hope that's ok...will cleaning this filter or replacing it significantly increase my fuel economy? i assume it will as this thing is real dirty.

also you'll notice that this fin is just missing...they don't come like this do they? should i just replace this filter? and how much do they cost? i'm used to paper filters because i use a snorkel on the jeep not a cold or ram air.

now this intake manifold (i assume it is) is wrapped in a tape of some sort...i've seen this before...but why is it here? is it for heat dissipation or is there a crack under it? and is this the stock manifold?

the turbo says garret on the side of it...is this the stock turbo?

ok guys, that's everything i can think of...any other information you can throw at me is always appreciated...i haven't checked the fuel filter yet...that may get a replacing also. thanks in advance for everything.

Last edited by Sledge Hammer; 08-03-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I can answer a few for you,
1. yes the Garret turbo is stock
2. yes those tires are bigger than factory, I know mine came stock with 265's which is like 30.8 inches or something.
3. Yes a tuner will help with the MPG's, but I think your tires are just messing up your gauges.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i highly doubt ur fuel tank is 40 gal mine is 32 y dont u jsut look at how many gal u pump in
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The silver foil is insulation as a sound atinuator to quiet down the turbo noise. Yes clean your air filter and change out your fuel filter as well. Make sure your using a good diesel rated oil also.

this is off the topic but wuts up with his turbo bein yellowish
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM

o and do u have some kinda leak on ur truck cuz the rear diff has alot of oil on it and on the shocks?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

My long bed has a 38 gal tank - Short beds are smaller.

Some plug in programmers can adjust for tire size. Since you're running bigger tires, your odometer doesn't add up the miles accurately so it will look like you're getting worse mileage.

Programmers, chips do add more power, but they CAN also have an adverse affect on your mileage...at least for a time. You'll be 'TESTING' out the new power. And as usually happens, the farther down the "GO" pedal goes, so goes your fuel mileage. Once you've completed your testing.....and begin more conservative driving, you can see better mileage.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Your tank should be the 29 gallon tank
Old 08-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the shocks are just dirty...the diff has some dirty oil on it, but no drip. 29 gallons? that's awesome...can someone else verify this? i read my stupid manual...but it's for f250's - f550's and it was confusing and not all that specific...you'd think with teh ammount ford makes on tehir trucks...they could give each model it's very own little book. so i dunno.
between that and the stock tire size being smaller...i may be getting good mileage...i'm excited to find out now...

so as for chips and control modules, what do you guys suggest? i'd like to see atleast 2 mpg's more and as much power as possible...i was looking at some that add 200 hp and 300 something torque...but i dunno if adding that kind of power will adversely affect my mpgs.

well i cleaned the filter and it looks half *** decent now...so i'll see how that goes...i still don't know what the deal is with that missing pleat on the filter.

as for the yellow turbo...i have no idea...i thought it was due to heat over time...maybe someone else has some knowledge on that...i hope i don't need to replace that =O

so can i take of that tape around the manifold? will it make my truck sound better or just annoying? will it affect anything else?

a good diesel rated oil? you don't mean on the filter do you? the engine has 15 quarts of expencive good diesel oil... the air filter is regular k&n oil...but it's just an air filter, it shouldn't matter what application it's being used on...right?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer View Post

as for the yellow turbo...i have no idea...i thought it was due to heat over time...maybe someone else has some knowledge on that...i hope i don't need to replace that =O
The discoloration on the compressor side of the turbo has nothing to do with heat over time, heavy towing, heavily fueled, or any of the other common misconceptions.

That area is normally quite dirty, because thats where the Crank Case vent is(the area where it releases at), so that area gets covered in oil and fuel over time.

When not cleaned for a long period of time, its end up with the discoloation once it is cleaned, which is just a stain.

Nothing to worry about

Mine's got it, the majority of 7.3's have a bit of that discoloration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.