How much is too Much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What would you pay?
16,000 7 70.00%
17,000 1 10.00%
18,000 2 20.00%
Other, Please Specify 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much is too Much?

Ok, so as everyone else, I am beginning to fall behind on payment strying to afford my rig and fuel. I lost the job that made the payments with ease, started a new career since, and dont make the money I used to yet, and won't for a while. Until then, I need to not struggle to make my payments and find something efficient to drive. My only problem being, I just bought the rig last year, and will be insanely upside-down getting rid of it, which I understand.

The question is, how much is too much to ask? In todays economy, for those who don't mind, please, take a second and post up how much you would pay for my truck and why. Mods are listed below, and I average ~17mpg, paint and bed are in great condition.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Project Abused

How many miles are on it?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM

oops, minor detail huh... just turned 72K
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Its ironic, but I was in a similar situation and couldn't figure out what to do with the truck. Fuel was crushing me -- literally $500-700 per month. I just converted the truck to run on vegetable oil with a Vegistroke system ( vegistroke.com ). You can harvest your own vegetable oil from local restaurants for free (or buy oil from a local company for about half the price of diesel). I figure my system will pay for itself in 6-8 months and then I have fuel for next to nothing after that.

Just something to consider.

--Snake
Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM

i would say for a truck like yours with low miles would be worth $22 to $23k in a good economy. now it would be worth about $12 to $15k. the mods on your truck wont get you any more money but will help you sell it quicker if the right person is looking for somethin like that. you have more of a chance when the truck is untouched. i know it sucks and everyone is struggling but just sit tight for a while if you can and hope for the best. i flip cars on the side to help pay for rising fuel cost. it dont take much. just $500 can turn into $1000 or more if you steal the right car lol. hope this helps ya.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Its ironic, but I was in a similar situation and couldn't figure out what to do with the truck. Fuel was crushing me -- literally $500-700 per month. I just converted the truck to run on vegetable oil with a Vegistroke system ( vegistroke.com ). You can harvest your own vegetable oil from local restaurants for free (or buy oil from a local company for about half the price of diesel). I figure my system will pay for itself in 6-8 months and then I have fuel for next to nothing after that.

--Snake
do you have the 7.3 or 6.0 ? i was told the veggie doesnt work good on the 6.0's
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post

--Snake
i had thought of it, but as jamstoyz mentioned, i had heard mixed things about the 6.0. mind you i havent done a ton of extensive research cause i dont have the upfront money to convert, but just getting back and forth at the moment is more important. plus, living in New Hampshire, where its below freezing just about every night for 4 or 5 months during the winter, its almost above my risk level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
i would say for a truck like yours with low miles would be worth $22 to $23k in a good economy. now it would be worth about $12 to $15k. the mods on your truck wont get you any more money but will help you sell it quicker if the right person is looking for somethin like that. you have more of a chance when the truck is untouched. i know it sucks and everyone is struggling but just sit tight for a while if you can and hope for the best. i flip cars on the side to help pay for rising fuel cost. it dont take much. just $500 can turn into $1000 or more if you steal the right car lol. hope this helps ya.
thanks alot, and having modded a few vehicles in the past, it does take just the right person and time to find that person, but patience pays off i guess...i guess if it werent for just buying it last year, a month before diesel went thru the roof, id be better off. when i bought it in may 07, diesel was 2.57 here, just about a dollar cheaper than premium unleaded at the time...
now im just upside down like a pig rolling in sh^t lol
Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Get a motorcycle or $2k beater and park your truck. A Crown Vic, Buick Park Avenue, LeSabre or other type of granny car will be your best bet for being an inexpensive, solid, well-taken care of vehicles. See if your insurance company will cut you a break if you put it (truck) in "storage". They *will* cut you a break if you have "more cars than drivers".
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We did this just to have a highway cruiser and ended up getting a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Supercharged. I bought it off an old guy in a retirement park. He had *just* had the supercharger replaced a few months before I bought it. The car was in great shape, inside and out.

Best part, as big as it is it gets 27mpg on the highway
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

nice, thanks for the tip, if only it was not for the payment being too much, that would be a great plan. i have a bike, but the weather has been rain in the morning, sunny during the day, and rain in the afternoon, which makes riding to/from work a b*tch, forecasters say were in this weather pattern for a while...oh well, such is life i guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.