Once a lemon always a lemon? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Once a lemon always a lemon?

Got my 6.0L in december, had it completely overhauled in May after discovering 2 cracked heads. Its currently running on a rebuilt engine ("bulletproofed") and transmission (failed a week after the engine was done). Ever since the rebuild every 3-4 weeks and issue comes up that needs fixed. I wish I was exaggerating. It is quite literally always something. Everytime something gets repaired I keep thinking "Ok it'll get better this time". Its like a bad relationship when you make up after a bad fight "things will be different this time" but it turns out its not

It's not major issues just little annoying things. Like my power steering pump, alternator, radiator hose leak, oil cooler clogged, hpop leak, door sensor, turbo, etc etc etc. Its nickel and dime-ing me right into the poor house. All i want is for this thing to be reliable. Its a pavement princess, my daily driver. I don't beat on it or anything. An alot of money has already been put into this thing to make it reliable. But it continues to have issues.

I have talked to a few people an they seem to think some trucks are just "cursed". No matter how much money goes into them there will always be something that needs fixed. Do you guys think there is any sense to what they are saying? It was purchased as a lemon, maybe it will always be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I used to feel like that about my truck too, but look at the mods I have done to my truck and now I don't feel that way any more! Just keep spending money and eventually there will be nothing left to fail.

I'm just kidding, but for the most part, it DOES get better. These are mechanical devices and some items are more prone to failure than others. In some cases, maintenance helps, but doesn't eliminate those failures. Best of luck and let us know if there's anything we can help out with.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I used to feel like that about my truck too, but look at the mods I have done to my truck and now I don't feel that way any more! Just keep spending money and eventually there will be nothing left to fail.

I'm just kidding, but for the most part, it DOES get better. These are mechanical devices and some items are more prone to failure than others. In some cases, maintenance helps, but doesn't eliminate those failures. Best of luck and let us know if there's anything we can help out with.
Thats exactly how I feel! Its a mechanical beast and logically if I replace everything eventually it will stop breaking on me.....right?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You also have to remember that you bought it used and even though you don't beat on it, that doesn't mean the PO didn't and who knows what maintenance schedule was used. I bought my truck with 29k on it and blew the head gaskets at 50k. Since all the mods, I've had basically 0 issues (knock in wood) and now have 105k miles. It'll get better and will all be worth it in the end.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.boom View Post
Thats exactly how I feel! Its a mechanical beast and logically if I replace everything eventually it will stop breaking on me.....right?
Well, if you get that far... Most folks get broke and frustrated, so they end up selling it. And it's even worse if you are making payments on it WHILE having to repair it.

There are a number of us that have been in that situation and the good news is that if you aren't afraid to get dirty, quite a bit of the repairs are DIY with most having posts dedicated to showing how to perform it. Unfortunately, these are expensive beasts, so the parts are usually at a premium. BUT, there are many of us who have persevered, so we are either stubborn or stupid (or both!)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM

youre in too deep already

Engine and trans done if you dump it now you lose. Thats what happened to the guy sold me his truck I have all kinds of new stuffon mine.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm in this same boat.

It's gotten to the point I don't enjoy driving and can't have the music playing cus I think, what was that??? Is that a new noise??? Is it running funny????

I'm probably just paranoid lol

So far just in the month of having the truck..
HPOP
HPOP lines
Fuel sleeves
FPR housing
CPS
clogged fuel filter
Very old oil
(Said he just had both changed)
Glow plug relay
Brakes front and back
Sway bar bushing
And my PSP is starting to go out lol

I hope one day it will stop having problems but at this rate I'll have a new rebuilt truck this time next year lol
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you have all of these issues after the reman went in? if you did, who ever did the reman did a poor job.

don't give up on the truck, it's not a bad boyfriend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.