Can a Powerstroke equal a Cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can a Powerstroke equal a Cummins

I took a short ride in a co-worker's 2002 Dodge Cummins 2500 today. He's encouraged me to do the mods that I've performed on my truck.

His 2500 has dual turbos, Banks intake and exhaust, Smarty programmer and big injectors (along with many other mods).

The acceleration absolutely pinned me in the seat. His turbos scream and there's only a little smoke on takeoff and during the shifts. The turbo gauge reads a little over 40 at wot. He said if he goes to the top level of his programmer it boosts over 50.

It's his daily driver and if he keeps his foot out of it he averages 25mpg!

Just amazing. My truck is nowhere near that strong and I don't think it ever could be

The only thing in my truck's favor is that it's a whole lot better looking than a Dodge

Last edited by morebiodiesel; 07-21-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Got the year of his 2500 wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
a truck

Are you sure its a 92 cuase that would be a mechanical 12 valve and therefore he could not have a smarty cuase those cant use chips or programmers since they are all mechanical
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
a truck

Also you could get to the power he makes cuase you can get twins, big injectors, etc but its a little more expensive
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Tikal
Maybe he meant '02?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD0389 View Post
Also you could get to the power he makes cuase you can get twins, big injectors, etc but its a little more expensive
That is what I was thinking. Sure you can build the same power. But you need bigger and deeper pockets.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD0389 View Post
Are you sure its a 92 cuase that would be a mechanical 12 valve and therefore he could not have a smarty cuase those cant use chips or programmers since they are all mechanical
I meant to say 2002 not 1992. I'll edit my post.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
a truck

Oh ok no problem bud just wanted to clarify
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I drove a 2001 Cummins at work a few months back that had me smiling. It had been converted to a P-pump, running larger injectors, and it was running twins on a built forged motor. The guy uses it as a sled puller and daily driver, I look forward to working on that truck again.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2002 if it still has the VP44 it's considered to have lowest power potential of the Cummins.

98% have not made it past 700 rwhp.

Is his an auto or manual?

Your 6.0 can make 400+ with just an SCT, add some injectors, turbo and spray and you could probably keep up with him. You'll run mid 12's, and even if he is one of the elite Vp44's he'll be less then a second ahead of you.

Last edited by Marty; 07-21-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
2002 if it still has the VP44 it's considered to have lowest power potential of the Cummins.

98% have not made it past 700 rwhp.

Is his an auto or manual?

Your 6.0 can make 400+ with just an SCT, add some injectors, turbo and spray and you could probably keep up with him. You'll run mid 12's, and even if he is one of the elite Vp44's he'll be less then a second ahead of you.
I know his injector pump has been upgraded. And yes it's a manual. I'm not familiar enough with the Cummins engine mods to remember what he referred to it as.

He towed with his new 3500 on a trailer from NC to CO to some well known Cummins mechanic. The guy worked on it for a few weeks and he paid another fella to drive it back to NC.

His 2500 was fast before he sent it out there. It already had the injector mod, the Smarty, and some sort of chip that gave it a really loopy idle. Before Colorado it felt pretty much like my truck on an aggressive ID street tune. But after the guy in CO did the dual turbos and other mods it's unreal.

I'm sure I'd have to do the head studs and full EGR delete to get near the kind of power he's getting.

Next he plans to delete the DPF off his new 3500 and begin it's transformation.

Last edited by morebiodiesel; 07-21-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add the manual transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.