A couple of electrical tricks... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking A couple of electrical tricks...

I just thought that I would post a couple of "tech-tips" so that life can be a little easier. First of all for problems like noise in a CB when the engine is running, a little trick is to disconnect the antenna from the CB. If the noise then goes away, then the noise is enterring through the antenna. If the noise is still there, then the noise is coming through the power leads. In that case, check where the ground for the radio, etc is connected. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS A GOOD GROUND!!! Use the firewall or the chassis if possible. In this case, a noise filter from Radio Shack should help, just make sure that it can carry the current!

If the noise is only present when the antenna is connected, then you are picking up "RFI" or radio frequency interference. First of all, try relocating the antenna. If you move the antenna to a new spot and the noise goes away, then leave it there, otherwise you may have to troubleshoot what is radiating the noise. For example, the exhuast system is insulated from the chassis by rubber hangers and it makes a very good antenna. You might have to run a couple of stainless cables from the hangers to the frame or the chassis to ground out the noise. (It took two cables from the back of my 7.3 engine block to the frame, two more cables from the frame to the chassis, two more cables from the frame to the bed, AND a jumper from the exhaust system to the frame to eliminate my noise!)

Next a trick if you have a short circuit and are trying to find it. Most people will keep looking for a short in the wiring and then checking to see if the problem is fixed by putting in a new fuse. They go through a lot of fuses and get very fustrated. A simple trick that I do is to take an old fuse and I soldered a couple of leads to the spades (chip off the plastid at the top of the fuse and do it there). these leads are about 4 feet long and I put a lamp socket (an old taillight socket works great) and use an 1157 bulb. The bulb will limit the current and the glow of the light shows that the short still there. When you get rid of the short the light goes out! With the long leads, you can see the bulb even from the back of the truck. This trick doesn't work very well on circuits that normally draw more than an ampere or so (like the headlight circuit), but even then, when you find the short, the lamp will dim.

Hope this helps some of you with getting back out there!!! ... Gassman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for sharing. Great info
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dont have a cb but those are some very good tricks. especially the light bulb trick. im sure this will help others.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Good advice... thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.