Need some excurcsion advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some excurcsion advice

My family has grown to 7 and we have outgrown our minivan. I was looking at picking up an excursion and was hoping to get some advice.

1. I have heard that the 7.3 is more dependable then the 6.0...true?

2. Aside from the higher gas price and larger oil requirements, is a diesel more expensive to maintain?

3. I do all the low level upkeep myself on my other vechicles (fluids, valves adj, belts, hoses, starters, etc)...what's the deal with glow plugs and when/if do they need changed?

4. When looking at used powerstrokes, what are some of the more common tell tell signs of an abused one?

5. Most people seem to have exhaust and Cold air intakes...any bad mods?

6. I know this will be a somewhat biased response , but is it worth picking up the diesel over the gas engine in the excursion? I will tow a horse when needed and a small 4X8 trailer but nothing the gas motor couldn't pull. At a dollar/gallon more, do I make it up in the fuel savings?

Thanks in advance from GA.

I appreciate your time and insight.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The diesel version of th Ex - so I have heard - will render high teens in mileage - upwards of 19-21 on highway. Do that with a gasser! Though I have a 6.0 (SC p/u - not an EX) & love it - you would probably be best with the 7.3 - a better engine.

Diesel is probably less maintenance then a gasser. I have 2 diesels - a 2002 VW Golf TDI & my '03 6.0 PSD. Other then oil changes every 5000 - 10000 miles (10,000 on the TDI) - and the oil in the PSD is 15 quarts of synthetic - the maintenance isnt bad. Keep fluids checked and replace the fuel filters on schedule - there is nothing exotic otherwise.

Glow plugs - my TDI has 186,000 miles on her - just last week had the GP's changed. The #4 plug was on its way out - the others were fine but opted to replace them anyhow just because 1 was going and they were all aged so why not. My PSD has the original gp's and has 156,000 on her.

The biggest fuel savings you will find with diesel over gas is in the long haul. If it is a vehicle you will be keeping for a long time - then yes - the cost difference in fuel at the pump diesel will eventually win. My truck in a gasser (I have a buddy that has an exact truck of mine but with the 6.8 gas) gets 9mpg all the time. He tops around 11 on the highway. I top 21 on the highway and 16-18 around town. Towing he still gets 9-11. I get - depending on terrain - 9-14. Towing for me is a 24' fully enclosed hauler around 5 tons loaded. Mileage of diesels vary and there are some things that will effect both positively and negatively - this forum is an excellent place to get your questions answered and a good concensus on what could work or may not work.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

All the glow plugs do is heat up to help a cold engine start. On the newer motors they stay on for a little while after it starts to help reduce emmisions and the classic diesel rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.