Need to order Alternator, debating still. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to order Alternator, debating still.

Hello I've never posted here but been reading for years. I have always been able to find the info I need here, this time I've found most of it but still not sure which alternator I'm gonna buy.

Truck is 05 6.0. Pretty much stock now but is used for heavy work on the ranch. In the future it will have added lights and winch but nothing crazy. I pull alot of big trailers also. It also makes lots of short drives and sitting in pastures so not alot of time at high rpm to recharge

I have narrowed down to a few choices but just can't pull the trigger yet. A few of these alternators don't have the full numbers listed on their websites like idle output. I emailed to ask but has anyone actually tested any of these.

There are several alternator threads but I couldn't find a more recent one. Any and all input is appreciated and if anyone has the numbers on these alternators either real or what they say from the maker. Here are my top choices.....

DC is popular and have they say Hot idle at 100 amps. I like this choice but it is smaller amps than the other choices.
185 Amp OEM Powerstroke 6.0L High Output Alternator - 6.0L V8 Powerstroke Diesel - F-350 Super Duty - Ford - 2005 - Most Popular Products

I found a couple threads about Meen Green but they were older and couldn't find much info. Says 220 amps at 2000 rpm, I see nothing about idle output though. Very interested this one seems to have the most output potential but it doesn't list any other numbers.
Mean Green High Output Alternator 8306

And then I found powerbastards and they might be the favorite now. They say 220 amps at 1200 rpm! And idle at 110, these seem like the best numbers and they dyno test each unit before it ships.
Alternator | PowerBastards.com

Also was looking at the 200 amp version from these guys. I can't find any numbers on these website and they want you to buy some rectifier or something to make your alternator last longer. Didn't like that.
http://store.alternatorparts.com/6g-...lternator.aspx

Oh and I can't find how many diodes some of these have? I read someone favored one of these because it had 12 instead of 6. I know it's essential for staying cool but can't figure out how many these have.

I'm leaning towards that right now, prices are close enough to not matter. Also should I just order one of the cable upgrade kits?

Thanks!

Last edited by ryan3316; 10-14-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a couple 220A Powerbastards in my Fords, and have been fairly happy, no issues to speak of. They have them with undersized pulleys, be sure that yours comes with it so you won't have any chance of idle charging issues. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.