thinking about buying a bulletproofed 6.0 have some questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thinking about buying a bulletproofed 6.0 have some questions

okay I am new to the forum here. im thinking about buying a 6.0 that has already been fully bulletproofed. my question is after a full bulletproofing is done how reliable are the trucks. I've done a lot of research and have heard great things about the trucks after bulletproofing but they kind of fall off and never update the thread about how the truck was doing for the next 50 to 60thousand miles. so can anyone tell me if I buy it already bulletproofed will I have a reliable truck for a DD granite I do regular oil changes, trans flushes ect. and don't hot rod the thing from stop light to stop light. will it be pretty trouble free? just want to get some more info before I buy found a few trucks so far looking at trucks with under 75k and 05-07. any info helps thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Once all the troublesome upgrades have been done you won't find a more reliable truck. The vgt likes a little hot rodding so enjoy.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a hard time saying "okay it's bulletproofed your good to go". For a couple reasons. Lets take a look at my truck. Ive done just about all that I can to make it as good as I can. I have only gone the cheaper route one time. Right now the truck is running at what I beleive is top notch. (Im sure someone with more excperience could argue that). But their is so many other things/systems that can go wrong. What I have done only address's the most common problems.
And another issue I have is the term bullet proof. This term is thrown around alot. But IMO I would argue that a truck with a OEM style oil cooler cannot call itself bulletproof. And you could say that for any truck with a oem style or non upgraded egr as well.
I have gambled alot of hard earned cash,time and knuckle skin that if I do everything that I can do to help out this 6.o,that in turn it will serve me well. And so far (knock on wood) the truck has been awesome.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah i hear you on that. the truck i am looking at actually has egr deleted, headstuds,upgraded oil cooler, new head gasket, and coolent changed ect. just not wanting any problems later. because i own a dmax prior and didnt have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
I have a hard time saying "okay it's bulletproofed your good to go". For a couple reasons. Lets take a look at my truck. Ive done just about all that I can to make it as good as I can. I have only gone the cheaper route one time. Right now the truck is running at what I beleive is top notch. (Im sure someone with more excperience could argue that). But their is so many other things/systems that can go wrong. What I have done only address's the most common problems.
And another issue I have is the term bullet proof. This term is thrown around alot. But IMO I would argue that a truck with a OEM style oil cooler cannot call itself bulletproof. And you could say that for any truck with a oem style or non upgraded egr as well.
I have gambled alot of hard earned cash,time and knuckle skin that if I do everything that I can do to help out this 6.o,that in turn it will serve me well. And so far (knock on wood) the truck has been awesome.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 PM

I don't like the term "Bulletproof" but that is the term that everyone uses since the name of the company that makes some of the best aftermarket products for our trucks is called Bulletproof Diesel. I will say bulletproofing your 6.0 should solve most of your potential major problems before they begin. The big BUT though is if something internal breaks. Mine had a valve that broke and it got wedged in a cylinder which led to a thrown rod out the block. From what I hear that is pretty rare and if I had known what a broken valve sounded like (I DO NOW ) then I could have saved my motor before major internal damage happened. All in all most guys who have "bulletproofed" their motors really seems to like them and usually don't have much trouble with them. If you like the truck and you are sure about the previous bulletproofing done on it then I say go for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply, you make a good point i may just pull the trigger and buy one soon seen a couple 6.4 in my price range but had more mles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
I don't like the term "Bulletproof" but that is the term that everyone uses since the name of the company that makes some of the best aftermarket products for our trucks is called Bulletproof Diesel. I will say bulletproofing your 6.0 should solve most of your potential major problems before they begin. The big BUT though is if something internal breaks. Mine had a valve that broke and it got wedged in a cylinder which led to a thrown rod out the block. From what I hear that is pretty rare and if I had known what a broken valve sounded like (I DO NOW ) then I could have saved my motor before major internal damage happened. All in all most guys who have "bulletproofed" their motors really seems to like them and usually don't have much trouble with them. If you like the truck and you are sure about the previous bulletproofing done on it then I say go for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM

I don't know much about the 6.4 but some say they are more reliable to a degree. If you just wanted a good study diesel then a 6.0 should work. If you want a hot rod that you want to chip then a 6.4 might be a better choice. I hear they are beast when they are properly tuned. Either way I don't think you will go wrong. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What is the upgraded oil cooler? Bulletproof diesel remote air/oil cooler, IPR oil cooler relocation, or a Dorman oil cooler. All can be considered upgraded but definitely not the same. There is no comparison for the bulletproof diesel system. Not even close! Also, where the heads decked for flatness... How much was taken off? Where the heads magnafluxed, how about the valve seats? Where they upgraded? What head gaskets where used? OEM, black onyx, black diamond? Some many questions can be brought up... If work is done incorrectly it doesn't matter what parts are on the truck. Not say the 6.0 isn't a great motor cause it is. Just certain areas need to addressed correctly with the correct parts!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
What is the upgraded oil cooler? Bulletproof diesel remote air/oil cooler, IPR oil cooler relocation, or a Dorman oil cooler. All can be considered upgraded but definitely not the same. There is no comparison for the bulletproof diesel system. Not even close! Also, where the heads decked for flatness... How much was taken off? Where the heads magnafluxed, how about the valve seats? Where they upgraded? What head gaskets where used? OEM, black onyx, black diamond? Some many questions can be brought up... If work is done incorrectly it doesn't matter what parts are on the truck. Not say the 6.0 isn't a great motor cause it is. Just certain areas need to addressed correctly with the correct parts!
Truck I'm looking at now is an 05 with 76k on it. Owners says truck had egr delete, oem head gasket with studs, head was supposedly okay when checked, hpop was done, oil cooler is original was told it was all done bye ford and he had records to prove it. Now he said he just got it out the shop from a fuel pressure problem causing the sct fittings to go bad correct me if I'm wrong still learning about the 6.0.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericomaha View Post
Truck I'm looking at now is an 05 with 76k on it. Owners says truck had egr delete, oem head gasket with studs, head was supposedly okay when checked, hpop was done, oil cooler is original was told it was all done bye ford and he had records to prove it. Now he said he just got it out the shop from a fuel pressure problem causing the sct fittings to go bad correct me if I'm wrong still learning about the 6.0.
You may want to ask him what he means by the head checking out okay. As rollinearly99 said there are a lot of different components that need to be checked and taken care of when going through a set of 6.0 heads. Ask him how much was taken off the head, about the valve guides, and about magnafluxing the head. At least from what I have heard when the heads are pulled and they end up checking out, the very least they do is deck them and put steel valve guides in addition to cleaning it up after magnafluxing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.