Buying used 2000 F-350 7.3L w/157,000 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Buying used 2000 F-350 7.3L w/157,000

This is the only place I could think of to ask a question. This truck I'm looking at is a fleet vehicle with reg cab, XL trim, 4X4 and SRW setup for snowplow capability (it doesn't appear to have been used for plowing) with almost virtually no body damage that I could find. I've got 20 years in dealership automotive parts experience including Ford (most recently 2007) and I was wondering, generally, is the 7.3 reasonably trouble-free? I don't remember too much when I was with Ford because I was too busy handing out parts and not necessarily paying much attention of what when where. This vehicle will probably mostly be sitting except for the occasional home use like hauling trash, loads of wood, etc. I just don't want to get into something that could be a money-pit. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 7.3's are pretty bulletproof. I would definitely recommend buying one. If you become a premium member here, you can get an oaisis report for free.

Here is a link to help you check out the truck a little better.
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM

What is an "oasis" report anyways?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up OASIS report defined

Over 20 years in the dealership field (this includes Ford among other Asian and European makes besides Domestic makes) I've learned that FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) likes to use what are called acronyms (Wikipedia has a great definition for this word online at Wikipedia), for example, Ford's parts ordering system is called DOES 2000; Dealer Order Entry System 2000. OASIS is the same sort of thing except it's service department based not parts department based. I think the ASIS part stands for Auto Service Information System and it's used to look up the service records for a vehicle defined by it's VIN number in a database that's maintained by FoMoCo in Dearborn, MI (I don't remember what the O stands for). Anytime the vehicle has been to ANY Ford, Lincoln, Mercury delership for service work, this information is stored in their OASIS system. This included Recalls, TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), etc. The OASIS report is available to authorized Ford dealership Service personell only, you must have a valid active login assigned to you from FORD and this is changed every couple of months for security reasons. I hope this helps.

Don W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.