Some research done, more guidance: 7.3 or 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some research done, more guidance: 7.3 or 6.0

Ok, I have already done some research, looking for just a bit more info, advice and anything else to help out a bit more.
Buying... What I am looking for.
People mover, so I am wanting an Excursion. Just trying to decide between 6.0 and 7.3.
I will be looking for best possible deal on latest version of each diesel depending on overall quality. So 2003 7.3 or 2005 6.0.
Now I am after a people mover and some towing capabilities.
Towing will be no more than 8000lbs, 5000 max for RV trailer duty and maybe 6000 for toys. I want reliability as a key point and MPG knowing it is an excursion and a diesel. Daily user as well, HWY driving, cold climate driving being Ontario winters. Not a street racer or rocket launcher, but do like some performance, don't have to be fastest kid on the block.
So here is sort of what I have come up with.

7.3 L will be less power, slightly better MPG, more reliability (taking Bulletproofing of 6.0 into consideration as a cost factor, so 6.0 stock.) vehicle cost in most cases compare able to 6.0 with comparable mileage.

6.0 L will be just as reliable once Bulletproofing done, more power, slightly worse MPG.

So cost depending of course, killer deal Is a killer deal (although killer deal means likely I am getting screwed somehow)

7.3 L. Must do: nothing
Want to do: CAI, tuner/monitor, exhaust, lift kit 4", tires, and considering gearing suggestions for the MPG and towing amounts I will be doing.
Also, if I read and researched correctly, tranny upgrades should be done maybe at some point.
Redo turbo and injectors at point of needing to if necessary with better components at that time.

6.0 L. Bullet proofing, at minimum: egr cooler and valve, oil cooler rebuild and relocator, ARP studs, coolant replacement, STC, and HPOP....
Wants same as 7.3 for performance/quality upgrades. Tranny fine though. So, these costs seem to be quite a bit higher than what need/want to be done to the 7.3.
So this is my stand still. I have already ordered my edge to take with me in vehicle searching. Quick question here, if the ECT/EOT less than 15*, would the oil cooler have to be rebuilt in the bullet proofing process? And also if no head gasket leaks or problems, can the ARP head studs be put on without changing gaskets or need for checking heads? Or if to the point of changing studs, just change gaskets anyways and get heads checked?
So for my intentions listed above, needs, wants and vehicle purpose, 7.3l if low miles little to no rust, or 6.0 and spend the extra money on bullet proofing and not do the extras right now.
Gearing..... With tow weights of no more than 8000 and mainly 3000 to 5000 lbs as majority of towing and mainly people mover on the hwy, should I be looking for a specific combo of gearing/tires?
Sorry for too much info and questions, I can always edit and break up post in smaller ones if it would help. Thank you all.....

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The only thing you are missing in my opinion are the tranny and I believe crank position sensor issues on the 7.3.
(the CPS is an easy road side fix)

Also most will be higher miles and you get less of the "upgraded" interior/lights which you can do yourself.

Gearing will depend on the tire size and average load, but you may also want to consider a helper bag. I LOVE mine.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well, I sold my '04 with 80k on it to get a '03 7.3 with 150k on it....got out while the getting was good.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

haha, not to get off topic but was there a huge price difference in what you sold the 6.0 for and what you paid for on the 7.3?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes, sold for 28k bought for 15k....so took the difference and got stage1's, 38r, RR fuel bowl delete, VS's, BTS, gauges and a few other goodies.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

thanks, thats a good score.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gahhhh.... So tough, I guess shop both? Best deal dictates what gets done?
I like the idea of the 7.3L, and not having to work so hard to bullet proof... Especially being I have no garage.... I have a good couple months to search also.. So that will help.
Hopefully a few more posts will lend a clearer insight....
Thanks for the the info so far, and for following my post over here from introductions Heavy!

Bill
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

I'm a power junkie, so I would have to have the 6.0
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM

stock V stock the 7.3 is better , even bullet proofed 6.0's still have problems , read a thread earlier that the only thing that kills mild-stock 7.3 is lack of maintenance
Old 09-27-2013, 11:50 AM

and just about any other diesel truck on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.