question about the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question about the 6.0

im looking at an '05 6.0 with 81,000 miles on it and i was wondering about the reliability. I'v heard that i need to stay away from a 6.0 but I'v also heard that they can be reliable if well maintained. I was originally looking for a 7.3 but im having trouble finding one that the bank will finance so i had to broaden my search. I wont be towing anything and it will mainly be a daily driver except for scrapping on occasion. He said he had the head bolts reenforced and im just wondering if this could be a reliable truck?
76 Maverick is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
ngaraiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dalton, Ga.
Posts: 894
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 Maverick View Post
im looking at an '05 6.0 with 81,000 miles on it and i was wondering about the reliability. I'v heard that i need to stay away from a 6.0 but I'v also heard that they can be reliable if well maintained. I was originally looking for a 7.3 but im having trouble finding one that the bank will finance so i had to broaden my search. I wont be towing anything and it will mainly be a daily driver except for scrapping on occasion. He said he had the head bolts reenforced and im just wondering if this could be a reliable truck?
Not sure about re-enforced head bolt? Did he mean he had ARP studs installed.

The 6.0 is the only diesel I was interested in. Read the stickies in the 6.0 section. It has tons of great info on the 6.0 and what to look for when shopping for one.

That being said yes the 6.0 has its problems but every truck and engine do. When properly maintained it will last damn near forever.

You may need to consider also the extra cost of owning a diesel. $100 for a tank of diesel and only expect 12-16 mpg as a daily driver.$3.07 a gallon reg gas and $3.74 for diesel in Georgia. Oil change every 5k miles requires 15 quarts of oil and filter between $65-100 depending on what oil you want to use. The 6.0 is very picky and need clean oil for the injector to work correctly. Dirt oil leads to all kinds of trouble with our trucks. Also every 10-15k and to change both fuel filters $50. The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't trade my diesel for a gasser EVER. But I haul a lot. Cows, 4wheelers, etc.... if you aren't going to use the diesel for what it was made for it prolly would be more cost effective to get a gasser, unless the extra maintenance cost doesn't matter. Just some thing to think about. Good luck with what ever you decide.


All that being said , I absolutely love my 07 and wouldn't trade it for 2 new truck. But that's just me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1380157720977.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	173441  
ngaraiderman is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Albert_6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I were you I would look for a fully stock truck, Just my opinion
Albert_6.0 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 05:21 PM
shenanigans


 
junior125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 9,572
Thanks: 184
Thanked 267 Times in 255 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the truck being sold at a dealer?

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

ARP, Irate T4, BW S363SX-E, Holders 175/30%, No Limit Intake, CSF Intercooler, BPD water pump, 7.3 Fan Adapter, MBRP charge pipes, 6.7 Pump, Driven Diesel RR, Built Trans w/ PI converter, Traction bars

We reserve the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.




junior125 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ngaraiderman, Theres a strong possibility of me getting a boat but its still only a possibility. I probably wont even put that many miles on it, I'll be shipping out in July of next year so I just need something to get me from a to b until then. I figure I shouldn't waste my money on something that I really don't want and with my driving habits this truck could last me my most of my life and who knows what needs ill have for diesel then.
Thanks for the advice.

The truck is from a private owner and I just clarified with him that had the head bolts replaced with studs, he also just replaced the hpop. I know that to have a better reliability ill need to do the egr delete and oil cooler upgrade is there anything else I'm missing? I have a friend who's a diesel tech so I'll be getting it done for cheap but how much will all the parts run?
76 Maverick is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM
shenanigans


 
junior125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 9,572
Thanks: 184
Thanked 267 Times in 255 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
go to the general 6.0 area and look at all the stickies, there are lots of information there about monitoring and upgrades and all of that stuff, if the previous owner had head studs done, I would hope that the oil cooler has been replaced along with the STC fitting and stand pipes, I would see if they have the record of exactly what all was replaced when they did head studs, as well I would go to a Ford dealer and get an Oasis report on it

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

ARP, Irate T4, BW S363SX-E, Holders 175/30%, No Limit Intake, CSF Intercooler, BPD water pump, 7.3 Fan Adapter, MBRP charge pipes, 6.7 Pump, Driven Diesel RR, Built Trans w/ PI converter, Traction bars

We reserve the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.




junior125 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
ngaraiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dalton, Ga.
Posts: 894
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 Maverick View Post
Ngaraiderman, Theres a strong possibility of me getting a boat but its still only a possibility. I probably wont even put that many miles on it, I'll be shipping out in July of next year so I just need something to get me from a to b until then. I figure I shouldn't waste my money on something that I really don't want and with my driving habits this truck could last me my most of my life and who knows what needs ill have for diesel then.
Thanks for the advice.

The truck is from a private owner and I just clarified with him that had the head bolts replaced with studs, he also just replaced the hpop. I know that to have a better reliability ill need to do the egr delete and oil cooler upgrade is there anything else I'm missing? I have a friend who's a diesel tech so I'll be getting it done for cheap but how much will all the parts run?
Sounds like a good plan. I will definitely last you many years if you treat it right. I see you are in GA? Where abouts. I'm in N. Ga. Dalton to be exact. Which branch did you join? And what MOS did you pick? Shipping out next July. I bet that makes you a senior in HS right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ngaraiderman is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm located in dunwoody but the truck is actually in dalton and ill be heading up there tomorrow. I joined the Navy but I'd rather not say my MOS.
76 Maverick is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
ngaraiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dalton, Ga.
Posts: 894
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 Maverick View Post
I'm located in dunwoody but the truck is actually in dalton and ill be heading up there tomorrow. I joined the Navy but I'd rather not say my MOS.
No prob. Good luck looking at the truck tomorrow. Look it over good!!!!! And I mean good. If you found it on craigslist or the trader PM the link and I will we if it any ones rig I know of. May be able to save you some headache if I know its a turd and someone is trying to unload a problem truck.

As far as the MOS. That's absolutely cool. I never had the honor to serve but since you chose the navy, if you have the opportunity to try nuclear power school/ A school, you should just on the chance. It translates back to the private sector very well. A navy nuke can get a good job at a commercial nuke plant making low 6 figures!!! Just an idea for you!!!!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ngaraiderman is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
No prob. Good luck looking at the truck tomorrow. Look it over good!!!!! And I mean good. If you found it on craigslist or the trader PM the link and I will we if it any ones rig I know of. May be able to save you some headache if I know its a turd and someone is trying to unload a problem truck.

As far as the MOS. That's absolutely cool. I never had the honor to serve but since you chose the navy, if you have the opportunity to try nuclear power school/ A school, you should just on the chance. It translates back to the private sector very well. A navy nuke can get a good job at a commercial nuke plant making low 6 figures!!! Just an idea for you!!!!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just sent you the link. I had the opportunity to go nuke and fought with it and another MOS I wanted, ended up going with the other because I felt like it was a better fit for me.
76 Maverick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome