Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

question about the 6.0

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack Lester 
#1 ·
im looking at an '05 6.0 with 81,000 miles on it and i was wondering about the reliability. I'v heard that i need to stay away from a 6.0 but I'v also heard that they can be reliable if well maintained. I was originally looking for a 7.3 but im having trouble finding one that the bank will finance so i had to broaden my search. I wont be towing anything and it will mainly be a daily driver except for scrapping on occasion. He said he had the head bolts reenforced and im just wondering if this could be a reliable truck?

#2 ·
Not sure about re-enforced head bolt? Did he mean he had ARP studs installed.

The 6.0 is the only diesel I was interested in. Read the stickies in the 6.0 section. It has tons of great info on the 6.0 and what to look for when shopping for one.

That being said yes the 6.0 has its problems but every truck and engine do. When properly maintained it will last damn near forever.

You may need to consider also the extra cost of owning a diesel. $100 for a tank of diesel and only expect 12-16 mpg as a daily driver.$3.07 a gallon reg gas and $3.74 for diesel in Georgia. Oil change every 5k miles requires 15 quarts of oil and filter between $65-100 depending on what oil you want to use. The 6.0 is very picky and need clean oil for the injector to work correctly. Dirt oil leads to all kinds of trouble with our trucks. Also every 10-15k and to change both fuel filters $50. The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't trade my diesel for a gasser EVER. But I haul a lot. Cows, 4wheelers, etc.... if you aren't going to use the diesel for what it was made for it prolly would be more cost effective to get a gasser, unless the extra maintenance cost doesn't matter. Just some thing to think about. Good luck with what ever you decide.

All that being said , I absolutely love my 07 and wouldn't trade it for 2 new truck. But that's just me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#5 ·
Ngaraiderman, Theres a strong possibility of me getting a boat but its still only a possibility. I probably wont even put that many miles on it, I'll be shipping out in July of next year so I just need something to get me from a to b until then. I figure I shouldn't waste my money on something that I really don't want and with my driving habits this truck could last me my most of my life and who knows what needs ill have for diesel then.
Thanks for the advice.

The truck is from a private owner and I just clarified with him that had the head bolts replaced with studs, he also just replaced the hpop. I know that to have a better reliability ill need to do the egr delete and oil cooler upgrade is there anything else I'm missing? I have a friend who's a diesel tech so I'll be getting it done for cheap but how much will all the parts run?

#6 ·
go to the general 6.0 area and look at all the stickies, there are lots of information there about monitoring and upgrades and all of that stuff, if the previous owner had head studs done, I would hope that the oil cooler has been replaced along with the STC fitting and stand pipes, I would see if they have the record of exactly what all was replaced when they did head studs, as well I would go to a Ford dealer and get an Oasis report on it

#9 ·
No prob. Good luck looking at the truck tomorrow. Look it over good!!!!! And I mean good. If you found it on craigslist or the trader PM the link and I will we if it any ones rig I know of. May be able to save you some headache if I know its a turd and someone is trying to unload a problem truck.

As far as the MOS. That's absolutely cool. I never had the honor to serve but since you chose the navy, if you have the opportunity to try nuclear power school/ A school, you should just on the chance. It translates back to the private sector very well. A navy nuke can get a good job at a commercial nuke plant making low 6 figures!!! Just an idea for you!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.