driver door problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
driver door problem

Help before i have to go to ford.. when i close my driver door and insert key in ignition the door ajar indicator stays on.. the door will not lock. and the bell keeps dinging what a pain and the doom light stays on. It acts as if the door is open when it is shut.. it there a sensor out on the driver side or what is wrong.. thanks much john
jodon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 141 Times in 133 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodon View Post
Help before i have to go to ford.. when i close my driver door and insert key in ignition the door ajar indicator stays on.. the door will not lock. and the bell keeps dinging what a pain and the doom light stays on. It acts as if the door is open when it is shut.. it there a sensor out on the driver side or what is wrong.. thanks much john
Every door has a sensor in the latch. Take some contact cleaner and spray inside the latch, open and shut the door a bunch of times and see if the light goes out. If nit, do the other 3 doors.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Every door has a sensor in the latch. Take some contact cleaner and spray inside the latch, open and shut the door a bunch of times and see if the light goes out. If nit, do the other 3 doors.
Thank you dhanna6powerstroke
That did the trick.. did all 4 doors and alls fine.
jodon is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 141 Times in 133 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodon View Post
Thank you dhanna6powerstroke
That did the trick.. did all 4 doors and alls fine.
Good, glad to hear it worked for you.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Jason812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: McGregor, TX
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I took my Ex to the dealer to get another key made and get the door code (it wasn't on the glove box). Ever since then I'm having the doors won't lock problem. Don't know if it was them or the fact that I detailed the entire thing myself after I took it to the dealer. I sprayed an entire can of contact cleaner in the lock for all four doors and the rear hatch. This worked but then the problem came back. When I'm driving down the road, sometimes when I hit the brake I hear the doors relock. I'm pretty sure the truck has spent a lot of time on dirt roads as there was a layer of dust in every crevice.

Should I just keep cleaning the locks or take it to the dealer and ask WTF is up with the locks?

I can open and close all the doors a bunch of times and the lock will work but it takes a few minutes each time. (I think it is the back hatch but not sure).


2002 4X4 XLT EX - Air Dog
Jason812 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 141 Times in 133 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason812 View Post
I took my Ex to the dealer to get another key made and get the door code (it wasn't on the glove box). Ever since then I'm having the doors won't lock problem. Don't know if it was them or the fact that I detailed the entire thing myself after I took it to the dealer. I sprayed an entire can of contact cleaner in the lock for all four doors and the rear hatch. This worked but then the problem came back. When I'm driving down the road, sometimes when I hit the brake I hear the doors relock. I'm pretty sure the truck has spent a lot of time on dirt roads as there was a layer of dust in every crevice.

Should I just keep cleaning the locks or take it to the dealer and ask WTF is up with the locks?

I can open and close all the doors a bunch of times and the lock will work but it takes a few minutes each time. (I think it is the back hatch but not sure).

Are you having the same problem as jodon with the door ajar light staying on, or is it just not locking? Don't quite understand the problem.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Jason812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: McGregor, TX
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, I'm having the same problem. After driving, I can shut the truck off and get out but the doors wont' lock, radio stays on, key pad doesn't work, remote lock doesn't work, etc... but the door ajar light doesn't come on until I turn the ignition back on. I open and shut all the doors a couple of times and the light goes off and I can lock the doors. It's like something is loose or loses it's conection with the vibrations from driving down the road. I haven't pin pointed which door it is but I think it is the hatch. There are times when I'm driving down the road and I hear the doors lock, after they have already locked automatically about 10mph. Should I just keep spraying a butt load of contact cleaner on them or is this possibly and electrical nightmare?

2002 4X4 XLT EX - Air Dog
Jason812 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 141 Times in 133 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason812 View Post
Yes, I'm having the same problem. After driving, I can shut the truck off and get out but the doors wont' lock, radio stays on, key pad doesn't work, remote lock doesn't work, etc... but the door ajar light doesn't come on until I turn the ignition back on. I open and shut all the doors a couple of times and the light goes off and I can lock the doors. It's like something is loose or loses it's conection with the vibrations from driving down the road. I haven't pin pointed which door it is but I think it is the hatch. There are times when I'm driving down the road and I hear the doors lock, after they have already locked automatically about 10mph. Should I just keep spraying a butt load of contact cleaner on them or is this possibly and electrical nightmare?
You are spraying the contact cleaner in the door latch, correct? If so I would just keep spraying them and see what happens. It's usually the drivers door that causes the most problems.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Jason812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: McGregor, TX
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeppers, I'm spraying it in the latch. I'll just keep it up and see what happens.

2002 4X4 XLT EX - Air Dog
Jason812 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 141 Times in 133 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason812 View Post
Yeppers, I'm spraying it in the latch. I'll just keep it up and see what happens.
If I'm not mistaken, I think a Ford scan tool can monitor the door switches and can tell you which one is acting up. The catch is you have to pay a Ford Tech to look at it unless you have a buddy that is a tech, then he might help you out.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome