I've been a Ford fan for years, I want a diesel but which one?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool I've been a Ford fan for years, I want a diesel but which one??

So what should I do? I cant afford the new 6.7L Scorpion and I want something newer than the 7.3L even though that might be the best diesel motor Ford has built. So the question is do you buy a 6.0L with all its troubles, a 6.4L which fixes some of the 6.0's troubles but adds some new ones and by all accounts gets worse fuel mileage. Screw the diesels altogether and get a F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, or (gasp) do I move to Dodge/Ram and buy a Cummins powered truck? After reading the posts about these 6.0L and 6.4L engines maybe the Cummins engine is the way to go!? I thought about the Duramax but they seem to have more troubles and cost more to fix. I will be towing a travel trailer that weighs at least 7,000 pounds several times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
go with a 5.0L f150.... i have a 2012 and love it.. tows my TH like nothing and still get about 14.5mpg while towing... empty im at about 17.5 city
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

I buy 7.3 trucks with 200k miles without batting an eye and love them. Not hard to rebuild or modify...Some have the best of both worlds and re-body or re-clip or even re-dash a truck with an engine they love. Just saw an impressive Cummins into F-250 swap thread with pics and video.There is no limit... other than your bank account or credit ! To each his own. If you can't buy it, build it.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
all the diesel brands have problems, you gotta pick your poison. 6.0/6.4 needs some engine love but every dodge ever built is going to need trans attention... duramax is all over the place.

diesel power did a comparison of all the popular diesels, 6.0 came out on top for most reliable for 500 hp (they had a budget of 5k for each truck).

bulletproof a 6.0 and you will be happy.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:54 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For the cost of a new or newer Eco boost you could build one heck of a 6.0 powerstroke with tons of torque. You could get a king ranch or Harley Davidson edition truck as a staring platform and still be able to save money. Plus you mpg will be better... Probably not 17 city but I know the 6.0 powerstroke will get better milage pulling a load compared to the Eco boost loaded. And the F250/350 will pull that trailer better. Yes and F150 will pull it, but rest assured the powerstroke will make short work of that trailer. Make sure to keep is posted on what you decide.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

stay away from 6.0. the retards that say a 6.0 is good are the same retards that bought one. Do a google search for 6.0 problems and it's like reading the bible. get a 7.3, or the f150 will do just fine
Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM
BANNED

He said he wanted something newer than a 7.3.... you call us retards, at least we can read lol.

Like others have stated, bulletproofed 6.0 and keep the maintenance up on it. My next powerstroke will be a 6oh as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean andreano View Post
stay away from 6.0. the retards that say a 6.0 is good are the same retards that bought one. Do a google search for 6.0 problems and it's like reading the bible. get a 7.3, or the f150 will do just fine
I did buy one. I purchased it WAY below what a similar year/equipped dodge or GM truck was going for. I used that savings to bulletproof my 6.0L and now I feel pretty good about the truck as a whole.

The 7.3L superduty has the chassis and brakes to control a trailer but lacks the power to move it like the newer trucks.

The F150 has some power but not the chassis or brakes to control the trailer like a superduty.

Sounds like sean angreano couldn't figure out how to wrench on 6.0Ls
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

might as well by a diesel and get the same if not better mpg and tow 10 times as much as an F150...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Buy a 6.0 With blown head gaskets super cheap and bullet proof it. You will save a fortune and have one heck of a truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.