Recommend a truck for my needs. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recommend a truck for my needs.

Hello

Let me just say I am not truck aficionado by any stretch. I have driven a 4Runner for the last 10 years and put 255000 miles on it with just gas, oil, brakes and tires. I love it.

BUT...

We are purchasing 10 acres in Montana and my needs will drastically change. I need a vehicle to haul stuff in the bed and on a trailer. I might ever plow a bit of snow with it but I haven't decided on retrofitting a blade on the tractor for that purpose. So I may or may not use for that but I would like the option. After we move in I don't foresee driving beyond a few hours at a stretch towing anything, but you never know. A few times a year we will pull a 5th wheel for outings. That might be in different states, might not. Dunno.

Asking around work (currently hauling tankers up in the Bakken) Chevy is crap and Dodge isn't far behind plus they both took the a turn at the Federal teet for money. Ford didn't. It seems that FAR more Ford guys at work loved their trucks than the other makes so I am avoiding them and starting my search with the true consumers choice. At least around here it is, that and almost every farmer around here is driving a Ford. Has to be a reason.

The budget is set at 10k. I don't mind old. I like old. I'm old. My dog is old. So the year isn't as important as serviceability. Its gotta preform its job.

I'm not concerned about the 7.3 6.0 less filling tastes great debate. Does it work? You get my point.

Must haves:
4x4
Diesel
Long bed

Prefered:
Manual tranny (unless there is a bullet proof auto available)
At least an extended cab (4 door im on the fence about)

Be it 3/4 or 1 ton doesn't matter much because I can always beef the suspension if needs be. IF there is a frame, differential or other difference between weights of vehicle, that is a concern and must be considered.

Like I said I don't know much about pickups so I figured I would ask the enthusiasts for their thoughts. That would be you guys.

Thank you,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
First off if your only spending $10k I'd say an 94-97 OBS is for you. There are lots of manual transmissions trucks out there. I'd get an F350 since the front ends are tougher than the F250. The 7.3 diesel is a great truck... It won't let you down. Just remember those old crew cab long bed trucks need almost an acre to turn around in. Good luck and post pics when you make your choice.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^^^ I agree. You mentioned possibly plowing snow. I think a truck would be better unless your tractor has a cab/heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.