Ok soo 7.3 guys...help a girl out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SevenThree Send a message via Skype™ to SevenThree
Ok soo 7.3 guys...help a girl out

I'm obviously new here (see my intro thread [New 7.3 from College Station, TX) and need to be taught a thing or two...

I have never modified a 7.3 but have broad knowledge on the subject due to the fact I have toyed around with mods on a 6.0 and cummins.
If anyone wants to take the time I need suggestions on where to begin.
I want to start with intake but I need to know the pros and cons of whats out there... I know most of the brands and their effect on 6.0s and cummins but that doesn't nec mean it's a perfect fit for the 7.3.
I'm straight... no muff and no cat.. stainless steel just lacking a tip.
Programmers: what are you guys running, what program and pros/cons?
What can stock injectors take and where do I go after they cant take anymore?
Fuel system.... once again I have heard the stockers do just fine...
I am running my stock tranny and have zero problems but I am sure after I step it up a notch she will give me the middle finger..
285k miles!!!! replaced a water pump...
Services them, I've heard people say less is more just keep an eye on fluid.. flush as little as possible.. which makes sense.

I will read through threads already posted and I'm sure it will answer some of my questions but some mentors would be GREATLY appreciated! I just need some directions so I can dive into my own research

Last edited by SevenThree; 06-24-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
I would try to find the best deal on a afe, s&b and more and just see what the best price is. really you need to get a set of gauges. boost, pyro, trans. then we dont really like programmers but chips. the difference is that the programmer is plugged in and downloaded like on a 6.0 but you can do it on a 7.3 but a custom chip like a tony wildman or a dp tuner is the real way to fly. but first you need the gauges.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
I would try to find the best deal on a afe, s&b and more and just see what the best price is. really you need to get a set of gauges. boost, pyro, trans. then we dont really like programmers but chips. the difference is that the programmer is plugged in and downloaded like on a 6.0 but you can do it on a 7.3 but a custom chip like a tony wildman or a dp tuner is the real way to fly. but first you need the gauges.
ahh yes, gauges..... slipped my mind....
I knew boost tranny temp was important before getting too deep.. I'll add that in after more air.
thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Ole White

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
As Redstroker said and as far as Injectors I'd go with Stage II's or III Single Shots this way you can run them with the stock HPOP(High Pressure Oil Pump) which for the Powerstrokes is what works the injectors like the CP3 Pump does on the Cummins as along as your HPOP is in good working order.
Then I would go with a Ball-Bearing Turbo either Turbonetics BB or Garrett GT38-R BB and with these mods you will see a night and day diff. Even just the Custom Tuned Chip will make a major diff. and bigger sticks and turbo even bigger diff. You'll love the power but CAREFULL DON'T GET ADDICTED

Would upgrade the tranny before sticks or turbo and with over 280K miles probably a full rebuild checkout BTS(Brians Truck Shop) or John Woods many on here rave about their Tranny's

Hope this will help you get started

Last edited by bigwhite7.3stroker; 06-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenThree View Post
ahh yes, gauges..... slipped my mind....
I knew boost tranny temp was important before getting too deep.. I'll add that in after more air.
thanks!
Dont forget egt gauge. And what year is your truck? You may have to look out for the pmr rods.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEWILLE View Post
Dont forget egt gauge. And what year is your truck? You may have to look out for the pmr rods.
shes a '99 model
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're gonna go broke trying to get a 7.3 to act/feel/perform like a cummins or a 6.0.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
You're gonna go broke trying to get a 7.3 to act/feel/perform like a cummins or a 6.0.
Ya but all that money's worth it when you soot the goat boys that think they're bad news

As for as chips, go with Jody Tipton in GA (dp-tuner.com) or Tony Wildman in TX (totaldieselperformance.com)

Tony custom burns TS Performance chips, which use a rotary knob to change tunes

Dunno wth Jody uses, but he has more fancy "o0o" factor stuff like a tune selector that goes in a gauge pod, remote control, etc.

I've dealt with Jody once, it was on a computer reflash, and he was super friendly and helpful
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 AM

As far as your intake concerns AFE is by far considered the best for the 7.3

You have a Stage 1 and Stage 2 option on the AFE, the stage 2 is a very nice set up, filters excellent and you won't have any problems with it. Every one will tell you to steer clear of a K&N because they provide little filtration and will eat your compressor wheel, this has been documented before.

If you're looking to spend under 1500-2000 grand the basics (intake, you already have exhaust, tuner, gauges) will wake your truck right up. As you know gauges are a must with any tuner.

I agree with the comments about the tuners, it's either DP tuner or, Tony Wildman, hands down they are considered the best tuners for the 7.3, don't waste you money on anything else. With a tuner you should also get a over boost annihilator(from ITP diesel), this is because at 25psi boost (which you will acheive with a tuner) the computer will automatically defuel the motor, this is simply a safety option to prevent going above 25psi and causing damage to the turbo(stock turbo is only designed for 25psi safely), yet the stock wastegate on the turbo will also regulate you at 25psi, an over boost will trick the computer into never seeing above 25 psi through the use of a air regulator and will never defuel your motor so you get all the power out of the tuner and you're still in the safe range of the stock turbo. It's a must for anyone with a tuner.

With the mods that are in my sig below you'll like your truck much better, now if you want to go all out, injectors, turbo, HPOP system are the next steps. You looking at another 6 plus grand for those mods, and at that point your trans will be hurting and need to be built up, so plan on another 4 grand or so for that.

Plus keep in mind that forged rods are stronger but they have a limit too, and with the right combo it is very possible to break them and this has been done several times over by numerous people.

I vote for you to shoot for the 500hp range, you'd probably be the only girl who could say that.

Last edited by Doakster; 06-11-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I will take the horsepower sacrifice to not have a truck that the only good thing about it is the motor(5.9) and I have seen some very impressive cummins (smdiesel)
As far as the six-ohh goes I don't wanna lift heads that fast.
If I wanted a 12v, 5.9 or 6.0, I would have gone that route.

Both respectable trucks but regardless of whether I beat them head to head, I haul horses to 30 states a year and I look at the 7.3 as one, if not the most, dependable diesel out there. I will make her respectable and "done right" and that's really all I'm looking for but I have this problem....

Go big or go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.