Glow Shift gauges and gauge pod, review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glow Shift gauges and gauge pod, review

I recently installed the Glow Shift gauge pod (4 pod) and gauges into my 2001 Ford Excursion. The gauges look nice, have pleasing fonts on them and they dim decently for night driving. So far, the only complaint I have, and it's a BIG one, is the positioning of the gauges. They are rotated to approximately the 4 o'clock position, instead of being straight down from the pillar at the 6 o'clock position. This rotation does two bad things:

1. it blocks even more of the windshield view near the pillar. The pillars in these trucks are relatively large, and already block out some visibility while driving or turning left. The new gauge pod position adds another 2-3" where you can't see clearly, and have to lean up and forward to now view what may or may not be in your path. This sucks for me.

2. it blocks the sun visor. You can pull down the visor just about half-way, and then it hits the gauges with about a 1.5-2" flap. the only way to get the visor down farther is to unhinge it from the center clip, turn it like you want to block the driver's window, swing it down, over the gauges, then push it back into position and reattach the end to the clip in the center of the roof. Then, to put it back up, you have to do the reverse of that process. This sucks for me as well.

This is enough of a pain that I'm going to start looking for a gauge pod that orients them down into the 6 o'clock position as both of those items above are safety issues. Yeah, some people may consider them minor inconveniences, but if you end up getting into an accident due to either of those, you'd wish you didn't have those problems to begin with. As a guy getting older with a family that I haul around a lot, I realize more and more the importance of good visibility and not having to be distracted while driving (and fiddling with the sun visor is enough of a distraction to be potentially dangerous).

Anybody know of a 4-gauge pod that hangs in the 6 o'clock position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM

This is interesting to me. I was looking at getting a few of the glowshift guages as well. I am interested to see if others have had this problem as well. Keep us updated!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I installed the 3 gauge pod and don't have any problems with any blocking or it hitting anything.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350Bigfoot View Post
I installed the 3 gauge pod and don't have any problems with any blocking or it hitting anything.
Same here no problems like his at all.I love mine
Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 AM

the 3-pods don't have this problem, as it is the 4th pod that interferes. The 3-pod has the lowest pod down in the same spot as the 4-pod units.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Ahh I see your problem. Short of maybe trimming it a little bit to adjust it not sure what you could do.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 AM

it would have to have a couple inches removed, then resewn (and would look like crap)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Got any pics?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have the Glowshift 4 gauge pod and love it.

In common language:
My visor has a little (flappy thing) on the left hand side that allows the visor to clear the upper gauge when lowering it all the way against the windshield.

In more technical language:
My visor has a crease which allows it to sit flush against the headliner when in the stowed position. This crease also enables me to move my visor all the way forward against the windshield.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 AM

Here are some pics. I can work around both issues, and 'could' add a crease, but shouldn't have to essentially wreck the visor and internal board to make it work. The two items are safety concerns, and what ticks me off the most is that neither of those two items were mentioned in any of their ads, website, literature, installation instructions, etc. And, their customer service basically came back with 'its an aftermarket part, so you have to expect this kind of stuff'. I co-own a business that sell aftermarket parts, and from a legal standpoint we always mention when something may block visibility, or block a safety related device on the vehicle.

As soon as I find a 4-gauge pod that puts them oriented farther down (which would be safer and more aesthetically pleasing too), I'll switch. I like the gauges, the colors, the display, and also like the pod finish / color / texture. It's just the orientation that causes issues for me. Oh, and as others have mentioned, as a tall guy (6'-2"), I can't see the lower portion of the upper two gauges without lifting up out of the seat. They have all 4 pod holders angled up. My guess is they angled the lowest pod, and then took a mold of that and used it for the other 3 upper pods, without considering that they needed to angle each one a little down as they went up the assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.