08' Super Duty and 6.4L complaints, comments, and concerns. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08' Super Duty and 6.4L complaints, comments, and concerns.

I'm posting this for my father who is in the market to buy a new or slightly used truck, mainly an 08'/above. Lately though we are a little weary buying unproven engines after the 6.0L fiasco. I was wondering if anybody that owns the new 08' Super Duty's equipped with the 6.4's would point out any faults, future concerns, or general complaints with the new power train and body style? Anything besides fuel mileage (I have heard plenty about that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I had an 08 that I put about 10,000 miles on before I left my job. I really liked it. Didn't have any problems or complaints.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Project Abused

Yea my only complaint is the tranny doesn't seem to like the above 500rwhp numbers other than that I love the truck and have had no problems oh except for this god d*mn squeeky squeeky coming from the back of the truck that interfers with me listening to the exhaust. Also if you do get a 6.4 make sure you get the upfitter package, really nice if you add stuff on.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM

I would say get an auto my friend just bought a 6 speed and its real laggy seems like forever before it gets up and goes
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mine is so much fun to drive. Pulls our 7000# TT like it wasn't attached with lots of power to spare. I love that throaty sound when my foot is in the accelerator.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problems with the Components on 6.4's

I have a 2008, F-450, 4X4, 488 rear end, Dual Rear Wheel, Crew Cab. The engine is terrific, and it will pull a freight train down the road, but it won't pass very many diesel stations. The engine is terrific, but the components have given me nothing but misery. I replaced the rear end @ 10,000 miles, I replace the electronic portion of the fuel pump at 15,400 miles, I replaced the Radiator @ 21,000 miles, I replaced the GPS system @ 28,550 miles and I just replaced another electronic fuel pump at 41,200 miles. I bought an extended warranty just to make sure that I have everything covered, because of all the components that keep failing. We are full time RV'ers, and we bought the truck to pull our 18,500 lb. loaded 5th wheel trailer. The trailer weighs about 16,600 and loaded with clothes & etc, is about another 2000 - 2500lbs. The problem is that it is not any fun to break down on the road and have it towed in with the 5th wheel attached all the time. The last time I called the Ford warranty 1-800 number under the extended warranty, I was told that they would not pull the truck with the trailer attached, and they would send out another tow truck for the tailer to be towed at my expense. It just so happened, I borrowed a person's truck in the RV park nearby, to carry my 5th wheel into the park. Both times the truck's fuel pump has failed; I have been stranded for at least 6-7 days. I do have a vehicle provided to me, buy usually it's a car. I am not complaining yet, as I have another 58,000 miles left on my extended warranty. I am sure other people who have bought 450's have had less trouble, so don't take this as what is happening to all '08 6.4 power stroke diesels. Hope you get one that works well for you or your dad.
Bob B.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9 View Post
I have a 2008, F-450, 4X4, 488 rear end, Dual Rear Wheel, Crew Cab. The engine is terrific, and it will pull a freight train down the road, but it won't pass very many diesel stations. The engine is terrific, but the components have given me nothing but misery. I replaced the rear end @ 10,000 miles, I replace the electronic portion of the fuel pump at 15,400 miles, I replaced the Radiator @ 21,000 miles, I replaced the GPS system @ 28,550 miles and I just replaced another electronic fuel pump at 41,200 miles. I bought an extended warranty just to make sure that I have everything covered, because of all the components that keep failing. We are full time RV'ers, and we bought the truck to pull our 18,500 lb. loaded 5th wheel trailer. The trailer weighs about 16,600 and loaded with clothes & etc, is about another 2000 - 2500lbs. The problem is that it is not any fun to break down on the road and have it towed in with the 5th wheel attached all the time. The last time I called the Ford warranty 1-800 number under the extended warranty, I was told that they would not pull the truck with the trailer attached, and they would send out another tow truck for the tailer to be towed at my expense. It just so happened, I borrowed a person's truck in the RV park nearby, to carry my 5th wheel into the park. Both times the truck's fuel pump has failed; I have been stranded for at least 6-7 days. I do have a vehicle provided to me, buy usually it's a car. I am not complaining yet, as I have another 58,000 miles left on my extended warranty. I am sure other people who have bought 450's have had less trouble, so don't take this as what is happening to all '08 6.4 power stroke diesels. Hope you get one that works well for you or your dad.
Bob B.
Yeah I won't make any assumptions about the entire fleet of 08's. As this is the process for every new engine and its components go threw in their first years (need time to work out the bugs I guess). Boy I'm surprised your not complaining yet, because I would be. You seem to be pretty patient though (an admiral trait), as in those kind of situations thats the first thing to go for me. I know my father is not going to buy anything more than a F350 but we sure do marvel at the awesomeness of the F450. Hope you have more luck and thanks for the response.

Last edited by scagmanf350; 06-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.