Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

changing motor from a 6.0 to a 7.3

6K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  dieselflash 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 ford f250 with a 6.0L. I have been doing some research and I believe the 97 7.3 will bolt up to my transmission, and i can use some of the parts from my 6.0. If anybody has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!!!! and if I'm in the wrong forum please let me know witch on i should be in.
Thank you

#2 ·
The 7.3 will not bolt up to your 6.0 trans, you need a 7.3 trans, the bell housing shape is different

#4 ·
Why would you want to do this swap anyhow?

#5 ·
Well the head gasket blew and the oil is a light brown in color. And i have 2 97 7.3L and 1 99, I've been pricing parts on both motors and the 7.3 parts are a lot cheaper! But I've only owned the truck for a couple of years and I'm still kinda new to working on diesels, and been told the 7.3's are a better motor

#6 ·
They are a great motor. You'll be miles and miles ahead if you will just go in and do a gasket and stud job correctly. Not to mention that you will be able to bullet proof the 6.0 for a lot less than a 7.3 swap would cost you. Spend a little time in the 6.0 section and you will find some good info in there. PM me if you have any questions. I can help point you to some pretty good threads.

#8 ·
this swap is kind of a downgrade. I would just fix up the 6.0, or if your dead set on a swap I believe a cummins swap might honestly be an easier task.

#12 ·
the 6.0 is capable of making more power than a 7.3 and is just as reliable once you have studs and an egr delete. Plus the 5r is a way better transmission than what youre gonna get with 7.3.

#13 ·
I have a 7.3 and I love it
But I agree with these guys. Fix the 6.0
This swap is a bad idea.

#14 ·
Wither a Cummins or a 7.3 swap is a bad idea. The 6.0 is a great motor that makes way more power than a 7.3 and is just as reliable if you delete the egr crap and do your maintenance. If you don't do your own work find someone who really knows and understands the 6.0 and this doesn't necessarily mean a Ford Tech as a bunch of them are as lost on the 6.0 as most uninformed individuals.

#15 ·
As much as it hurts me to say this weather it was directed at me or other technicians that I am friends with if the mods on this forum feel this way about us ford technicians that come here and try to help then I am wasting my time on this forum.revoke my statis as a powerstroke.org techie and I will move to another forum. My aploligies to the other mods and forum admins who have believed in me as a ford technician.

#17 ·
I am in on this thread... I will check back.

#25 ·
That's exactly what I meant. Glad somebody got it. I don't care what the profession, there are people you want working on your stuff and people you don't. You have to do your homework and find the right people.

#29 ·
Cool, glad things got cleared up.

Keep being who you are Dale.:thumb:

#35 ·
"And where did you here that from?"

"Oh, the Internet. So it must be true"!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#37 ·
How long have you guys been working for Ford dealers? I've been doing this since I was 19, in my ten years there has been a huge drop off in the quality of techs. Our work load is being hit hard last few weeks. I've went from averaging 70 hours a week for the last few months to struggling to get 30 hours a week. This week not so bad with a 6.7 with DEF in the fuel. I feel like you guys, I come here and try to help people. I get so damn tired of seeing "stealerships".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.