Where to get CB installed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to get CB installed?

Well, my brother got me a CB radio for Christmas, and I'm looking to hook it up soon. I would do it myself, but have been strapped for time lately. I was thinking about Best Buy maybe? If I did do it myself, what do I use to hook up the antennas to the radio, like speaker wire? Sorry, but I've never really worked on electronics before, just dirt bikes lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I suggest you google cb shops in your area. Best buy wouldn't have a clue what to do.

Most antennas if they are magnet mount have the COAX (coaxile cable) already attached to them.

If you need to buy coax you need at least rg-8 to run from the antenna to the radio. You will also have to get the antenna and radio matched. To do this you need an SWR meter. Best thing to do is just find a cb shop near by and have them do it. They usually charge around 40 bucks to install and match a radio to an atenna. If you install the radio and the antenna and take it to them for matching then it usually costs around 20 dollars.

Some places charge around 60 dollars to peak and tune your radio, install radio, and then match the antenna.

Some antennas to look at if you need to buy one.

Magnet Mounts
K40
Wilson 1,000
Standard Mount
Wilson trucker 2000
102" stainless steel whip with load spring.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I believe that the antennas I have are 4 foot Fire Sticks. I have the mounts, to hook them up in the bed, but need to run the wire through the back window. I could mount it, I just have no idea where. Where does everybody else have their's?

Well it looks like there aren't any shops close by, do you know where I can pick up a SWR meter?

Last edited by 07psd356; 05-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have my antenna mounted on my tool box on the side. Before I had a toolbox, I had it mounted in the stake hole in the bed. Any CB shop should have the mounting kits. And wire it up yourself. It won't take you long. Maybe an hour tops. Also, my Cobra 29 has a built in SWR meter...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

radio shack has the swr meters. and i wouldn't trust the swr meter on the radio. i would persoanlly run a wilson 1000 or 5k good antennas and the higher the better. fire sticks are garbage and hard to tune and there below the cab.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

The best way to get all your answers taken care of is.....find a truck stop on the highway,...ask someone where the closest CB shop is....and go there.

Most likely it will be run by a guy older than Dinosuars,...but he'll be able to answer every qyestion you'll ever have.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
I wouldn't trust Best Buy to install a cd in my cd player. Those guys are usually just out of high school, with a little driveway install experience. There are a couple good ones, emphasis on a couple.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM

You can get any of the parts at a Love's or Flying J filling station. They probably wont show up on google if you're just searching for CB shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.