7.3 or 6.0 for a Swap? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 or 6.0 for a Swap?

I've been wanting a 4wd Super Duty for a while now, and found a gas one for a good price, but it has almost 500K miles and is a 2000. So, I would want to put a PS in it.

I was wondering which would be best for an all around engine, and reliable. I'm leaning more towards a 7.3 to build up before dropping it in. My budget is somewhat limited, so I'm not going to build anything crazy.

The truck would be used to get to and from work, 90miles a day, hit the mud every once in a while, and to tow my project truck.

I know this is a topic that has been beaten to death, and I'll get a hundred different opinions, lol. But, I wanted to ask for myself, as well as reading others posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's not worth the effort for a chassis with 500k. Realistically you need a running donor truck. Everything from the driveshafts, transmission, motor, electrical, cooling will need to be swapped over. The 7.3 is the better engine but I am bias. An easier swap might be to a 5.9 as you could get adapters for a gas transmission but your going to spend more than just finding a running truck with the motor you want.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
It's not worth the effort for a chassis with 500k. Realistically you need a running donor truck. Everything from the driveshafts, transmission, motor, electrical, cooling will need to be swapped over. The 7.3 is the better engine but I am bias. An easier swap might be to a 5.9 as you could get adapters for a gas transmission but your going to spend more than just finding a running truck with the motor you want.
What he said.

Unless your getting the truck for free and already have a donor.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

X3 here. Unless you want a project and a lot of extra cash, I agree you need to find a better option. Good luck.

Now if the truck already had a powerstroke in it, then that's a different story.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry it took so ling to get back to you all. Thanks for the input! I kinda figured it would end up being more trouble than what it was worth, even though the truck it self was immaculate. I have come across a few good trucks recently and I'm trying to get in a '05 I found yesterday. So, I'm crossing my fingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.