Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

In the market for a new diesel, what to get???

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  897.3alltheway! 
#1 ·
Alright guys me and my wife are in the market for a diesel. I've had a few 7.3s and a cummins so I'm not a total newbie. Just trying to get some honest opinions from my fellow ford owners. With that being said my options as of now are some what limited. We're trying to stay under 20k and ill be trading my 07 Chevy gasser in. The truck I decide on will be the one that sucks around till it falls apart! So longevity is my #1 prioritie but I don't know if I really wann give up the new fancy creature comforts.

With that being said which one would be the best, low mile 7.3, 6.0, or a 6.4? I e owned the 7.3 so I know there the most reliable out of the box but like I said a ove I want some of the newer creature comforts. I've do e a little research on the 6.0 and really like them but just can't seem to talk myself into pulling the trigger with them needing so much to make bulletproof. Now the 6.4's I've not researched enough to even make a claim other than I've heard horror stories about the motors locking up and some people saying there a bigger headache than the 6.0..

Whichever one I get will have some mods done but nothing crazy, I have no problem taking the steps to bulletproof my truck but I want it to be on my terms not because of mechanical failure.

Bah I'm just rambling now, point me in the right direction fellas! As you can see I'm torn in which way to go!

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I would go 05-07 with a 6.0
I recently got my 07 f250 ccsb lariat with 113k mile for 24k I paid a little more than I had planed too but this was the exact truck I had been looking to find for several long months. The lariats have all the bells and whistles. I simply love mine. Yes that will need some attention but if done right and you don't beat on the skinny pedal at every single red light the 6.0 will last a very long time. Probably won't be able to find a really good shape 6.4 for under 20k. And most 7.3's that aren't worn slap out and have over 300k mile cost just as much as a 05-07 6.0. Good luck, let's us know what you get. And any questions you have, do not hesitate to ask them here on the org. Tons of good info and awesome folks here with an abundance of very good info

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Thanks man! I think I may have my mind made up on getting a 6.0. You just can't beat the way they sound and IMO they are the best looking. I've found 2 6.4s pretty local that are around the 20k mark but they both have between 130k-160k and that's a little higher milage than I wanna get.

#4 · (Edited)
Personally I'd go for a low mileage 010 6.4. They run with 6.7s in my opinion just don't tow as good. 6.0s are alright tho and they are cheaper/easier to fix then a 6.4. Yet both are worlds different to work on than a 7.3 or cummins.
A year and a half ago I bought my truck as it sits with 87k needed brakes I paid 25,000$. Only thing I put on was the exhaust and the add a leaf which he had the kit just not put on.
If your wanting a newer truck inside and out then the 6.0 just won't cut it for you I wouldn't think. It's really not much different than a late model 7.3

#5 ·
I found an 08 6.4 with 115k on it.. It's nothing fancy just your plain ol interior. Doesn't have the thing I would like, like power seat, leather, etc. but i don't have to have those things just something I'd like to have.. It looks like a pretty clean truck it's just missing the back seat (ext. cab not crew cab).. The only thing that worry's me about the 6.4 is I've heard they are worse than the 6.0. They crack pistons and th motor locks up! I haven't had a lot of time to research them. I just want a reliable truck thats not a headache that's not gonna leave me stranded on the way to my gncc races.

#7 ·
6.4's are reliable motors, I think they are more reliable than the 6.0 when 100% stock/OEM.

#8 ·
Get a dodge

Sounds like you are looking in the wrong place. Newer+Reliable Powertrain+Price= 06-07.5 6 speed 5.9 or any 6.7 cummins.

Yes you will have problems with the steering box, ball joints, everything underneath(maybe) but you will never have a problem with the engine or tranny. And if you do it will be a simple fix.

I own a 6.0 6.4 and a scorpion and I tell you right now as far as a truck goes I will buy a 6 speed cummins next. Unless they release a 6 speed lariet scorpion which will not happen

Its cummins not duramax so its not frowned upon on here to switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.