Thinking of getting a psd... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of getting a psd...

... So after test driving a couple I think I want one. I like the dodge but I like the ford more.

I just cant decide to get a 7.3 now or wait one year for a 6.0 ???

Here is the one that I test drove.

2000 FORD F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Long Bed

It has approximately 120 xxx miles on it if I did the math correctly.

I am going to test drive it once more look for some stuff that might be wrong with it. (Leaks, rust that sort of stuff) I ain't no diesel mechanic but when something isn't right it can be easy to spot (sometimes ).

My dad has worked on diesels before but they are in tractors not trucks. My friends dad works on fords all the time but I would have to ask the dealer to borrow it for the day or something cause the truck is 2 hours away.

Let me know what you think. Should I buy now or wait for a 6.0.
I realize that diesel prices are going up but so is gasoline. You get better mpg in a diesel than a gasser so I figure I am spending my money wisely by buying a ford diesel. Its too bad they don't sell a f150 diesel or I wouldn't post this useless thread. I don't have a larger trailer to pull stuff just a single axle 8x10 footer oh and maybe my dads 17.5 foot fiberglass boat if he lets me

I would install gauges, 4 inch exhaust, "dp it", turbonetics turbo/ injectors, and other stuff to follow.

What do u think???
Opinions/ Suggestions/ Comments/ Things not related to my thread, anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Too much truck for what you need. Sounds like you might even be able to pull it off with a Ranger...
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabePowerstroke View Post
... So after test driving a couple I think I want one. I like the dodge but I like the ford more.

I just cant decide to get a 7.3 now or wait one year for a 6.0 ???

Here is the one that I test drove.

2000 FORD F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Long Bed

It has approximately 120 xxx miles on it if I did the math correctly.

I am going to test drive it once more look for some stuff that might be wrong with it. (Leaks, rust that sort of stuff) I ain't no diesel mechanic but when something isn't right it can be easy to spot (sometimes ).

My dad has worked on diesels before but they are in tractors not trucks. My friends dad works on fords all the time but I would have to ask the dealer to borrow it for the day or something cause the truck is 2 hours away.

Let me know what you think. Should I buy now or wait for a 6.0.
I realize that diesel prices are going up but so is gasoline. You get better mpg in a diesel than a gasser so I figure I am spending my money wisely by buying a ford diesel. Its too bad they don't sell a f150 diesel or I wouldn't post this useless thread. I don't have a larger trailer to pull stuff just a single axle 8x10 footer oh and maybe my dads 17.5 foot fiberglass boat if he lets me

I would install gauges, 4 inch exhaust, "dp it", turbonetics turbo/ injectors, and other stuff to follow.

What do u think???
Opinions/ Suggestions/ Comments/ Things not related to my thread, anything.
Well sounds like your headed in the right direction, the 7.3 is a great reliable motor......but as far things to look out for I'm sure Scuffy, Dirk or Maintain will be around shortly to point some things out to you
Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 AM

7.3 would be the best one
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

18K seems a bit high for an 8 year old truck
Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got him down to as low as 16500 plus lovely 13% tax and the value of my moms car around 4 000...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Here, check this out. I'm sure it will help a little.
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

Also I agree, that truck is priced too high. Can't go wrong with a 7.3, but there are better ones out there. What do you mean wait a year for the 6.0? Why can't you buy one now?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey that ain't 16,500 + your moms car is it?? I hope I misread that! I hope you meant 12,500 + the car, right? If thats the case, thats not too bad then
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Streak
You guys are all nuts. A ranger could pull a dinky 8x10 trailer and a 17ft boat and get significantly better gas mileage when he's not towing. A F-250 is total overkill for your needs.

A Supercab 4wd Ranger can tow ~5600lbs, which is far more than the loaded trailer or boat you're talking about, which you will probably tow infrequently. The Ranger will be easier to park on a day to day basis and won't have the huge diesel related expenses ($100 oil changes etc). Also it gets significantly better gas mileage (16city/23hwy or better), and then you have to consider the price difference between gas and diesel.

An important consideration at your age (seems like you're about 19) is insurance... start by getting quotes.

While PSDs are badass, don't let the cool factor make you end up with a hell of a lot more truck than you need that will cost a lot more than you can afford...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[QUOTE=Streak;593845]You guys are all nuts. A ranger could pull a dinky 8x10 trailer and a 17ft boat and get significantly better gas mileage when he's not towing. A F-250 is total overkill for your needs.

When did OVERKILL turn into a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.