Best Wax/Polish for removing scratches - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Gun Nut

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Best Wax/Polish for removing scratches

Hunting season is over and I picked up quite a few brush scratches from the ranch. Nothing too bad it doesn't seem but on black it always sucks. Anyway I was going to break out the buffer and do the wax thing on her tomorrow. What is the best all around wax or polish for removing those scratches? And if I can skip having to go over it 10 times that would be great. It's bad enough to wash these beasts, dry them, put on wax, take off wax and buff it without having to add a bunch more steps to it like some of these compounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I use a product called scratch out. just use that on the scratched area in a circular motion. Its pretty easy.
Then i wax it with Lucas car wax. Go over it again in a week or two with Black Majic spray on pollish.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Emergency Services

Alan,
My wife and I were at the local Wally World the other day getting something she wanted. Now me, I'm a sucker at times for the "As Seen On TV" crap. I decided to try that Simoniz Scratch remover on her Explorer (some schmuck opened their door too far and scratched her door). I must say, it actually worked! If you look for the mark straight, you can't see it. If you look at the door from an angle, you can see the spot where the paint chipped (the line paint line).... Other than that it actually covered/fixed the scratch. I'm going to try it on my truck after the weather decides to be nice.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Gun Nut

The scratches are really light and as it happens they run all the way down the rig because I'm driving through the crap. The wax that I've used has done pretty good over the years but I always seem to find a few in areas that it doesn't get rig of. You can't really see them unless you're looking for 'em but I know they're there and if something can get rig of 'em I'll give it a shot. How well does that Lucas wax work?

Last edited by Rodslinger; 05-16-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by my19997.3 View Post
Alan,
My wife and I were at the local Wally World the other day getting something she wanted. Now me, I'm a sucker at times for the "As Seen On TV" crap. I decided to try that Simoniz Scratch remover on her Explorer (some schmuck opened their door too far and scratched her door). I must say, it actually worked! If you look for the mark straight, you can't see it. If you look at the door from an angle, you can see the spot where the paint chipped (the line paint line).... Other than that it actually covered/fixed the scratch. I'm going to try it on my truck after the weather decides to be nice.
Thanks Leon - it didn't haze or anything? I was reading something on Consumer Reports and they said some of the products they tried hazed and made it worse. They didn't mention the one you referred to but they mentioned McGuire's doing it.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
I use scratch x also! Then i would try to pickup some zano!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
I use scratch x also! Then i would try to pickup some zano!
I think Scratch X was the stuff they were saying caused a haze. They said McGuire's (sp?) and so I assumed that was what they meant. You haven't had any trouble with it? I damn sure don't want haze on my black rig.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Lucas goes on so very easy and comes off just as easy - thats why i use it. That Kit brand wax is carnuba and thats good stuff but you will kill yourself trying to get it off.
Really need a buffer for that.
As far as for scratches, the Scratch out work great and i know exactly what kind of scratches your talking about and it will make them disappear.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Gun Nut

Cool - yeah and I use my buffer to put on and then I take off by hand and then buff over again with it.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger View Post
Thanks Leon - it didn't haze or anything? I was reading something on Consumer Reports and they said some of the products they tried hazed and made it worse. They didn't mention the one you referred to but they mentioned McGuire's doing it.
It hasn't hazed yet and that's been through 3 rain storms. I'm going to use it on the black paint at the bottom of my sides. I have some bad chips and scratches there from stones being kicked up. Once I get it on the black surface, I'll let you know how it comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.