Help selecting first F350 power stroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help selecting first F350 power stroke

Hey Guys. New guy here. I am purchasing my first powerstroke and need some help finding my way as I have been overwhelmed with all the different configs from 99-2013.

I have been researching this off and on for months and this forum has been excellent. Thank you all.

I am looking at an F350 crewcab fullsize drw. 2wd preferred. I cannot decide between an older 99-2002 and their legendary 7.3L or the newer 6.7L with their stump pulling 800ft/lbs, 6 spd, and engine brake. And, although this may not be the best way to start off a thread on a power stroke forum, the 6L is off the table for me (sorry 6L fans; no offense intended)!

I currently tow a TT at about 5800lbs loaded and also pull a 20ft enclosed car hauler loaded with a sand rail and gear or classic cars (haven't weighed that yet) and 2 growing boys. Both towing situations are new to me as of Jan of this year but have already lost track of the number of trips.

Since this is really the beginning of towing for us going bigger on the TT side is likely and, since I keep my vehicles at least 10 years on average, I plan on keeping this truck until there is nothing left of it. (After all how much more truck can a guy need!)

I am thinking drw because of better handling and load capabilities but realize I am no where near load cap even for a F250 let alone a 350 drw. Again, keeping this truck a LONG time.

We run a lot of BIG hills and winding roads as well and a lot wet roads here in Oregon. Not much snow.

Here are my questions:

99-02 vs 09-12? Can I get away with the older? Are the 09-12 really worth the money? 4 spd vs 6? Is the 300 ft/lbs of torque difference a deal breaker? In my area the older goes for $20ish fully loaded and has right at 100k mi. and are like new (one owner). The newer goes for $35-45k fully loaded, around 6K mi. and up.

The bottom line is I don't want to over buy with the newer nor do I want to spend a lot of time and money making the older perform like the newer. I can afford either; just trying to be practical.

Thoughts? Links to other post appreciated. Thanks for putting up with the new guy. Appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well, you can do some minor things to the 7.3L(switch on the fly chip with good tow tuning, exhaust, intake, maybe a trans cooler) and do very well with it. the 6.7 or 6.4 is going to be more comfortable(by far) ride better, quieter engine and have a little more power out the box. i guess it all boils down to do you want one with a factory warranty? do you mind working on one with your own hands when it does go down for repairs(7.3 most likely). do you like the louder engine, or the quieter engine? the emmissions crap gets me on the newer trucks. id rather not have all that stuff. the newer trucks haul really well in SRW form and have better GVWR vs the older trucks. heck you might get away with a 250 if you get a newer 08-12 truck. put you some air bags under the rear and it will pull like a dream.

just some thoughts for you to consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.