Winter tips for older diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter tips for older diesel

I bought a 1999 F250 (7.3L) with 125k miles on it last summer, and had tons of starting issues last winter. Ended up replacing the glow plug relays, but even after that it was hit or miss when temps got below freezing. I found a way to keep it plugged in and all was good. However, I've moved from KY to NJ so expecting a much harsher winter, and as of now I don't know if plugging it in will be an option. I've just bought 2 new batteries so that will not be an issue. Is there anything else I can do to make starting in the cold less of an issue? This truck is not my daily vehicle and I know I'll have to drive it much more frequently in cold temps, but how frequent are we talking? Once, twice a week, or should I just start driving it every day? Are there any additives I can buy that might help? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
First off NJ doesn't get THAT cold comparatively, it isn't Manitoba.

If you replaced the glow plug relay and it still was dicey below freezing than something else is wrong. I would check to make sure that relay didn't crap out, check the UVCH and ohm the glowplugs. At 14 years old it might be time for some new glowplugs. Are the injector o-rings original as well? They might be due to be changed at somepoint as well, especially if you already have the valve covers off for the glow plugs.

Synthetic oil or a diesel rated 10w30 will help but in balmy Jerz that isn't required IMHO. I live in Mass and with a stancor relay my truck would fire no problem with Wally World 15w40 even in near zero degree weather.

Some good links for you:
Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It can get cold in NJ. Usually not for extended periods though and it depends on the location in the state as well. Good tips above and synthetic all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.