Looking at a F250 6.0L turbo diesel tomorrow, new to diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a F250 6.0L turbo diesel tomorrow, new to diesels

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are looking into getting a diesel truck and found one that looks nice. Its a 2003 F250 Lariat SuperDuty with a 6.0L turbo diesel engine. The truck has 125000 miles on it (which I hear is just broken in for most diesels). We currently live in the rockies of Colorado, and plan to move up to Alaska next year, so we will be living in cold environments. There are two things I could use help with.

1) I am new to Ford trucks, and I have seen some people complaining on the forums about their 6.0's and others saying they were great. What are your opinions? What should I be aware of and look out for when I go look at this truck tomorrow?

I also know that a lot of times what people get out of their trucks depends on how they take care of them. So...

2) I am new to diesels and have seen people posting about putting different things in with their oil in the winter. I have always been a bit hesitant to put any type of additives into my cars. Is this normal or recommended for diesels? I know we will have to get an engine block heater when we get to Alaska, would that be enough to take care of it?

If you have any other comments or things that might be helpful for a Ford or Diesel noob like me, let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Having owned two 6.0's, and still own one, I would walk away from a first year 2003 6.0 unless it has aftermarket studs and the emission junk removed. Too many issues to list with that engine--especially the 03-04's. Look into a 7.3, or at the least a 2005-2007 6.0. My remaining 2007 6.0 still runs great.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Best single piece of advice is too do your homework on the 6.0 so you can make an educated decision on your purchase. Good luck
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM

some say the 03 was rushed and flawed ...I wouldn't personaly get an 03 simply for that reason , too risky ....6.0 is a great motor but if it was neglected they can be catastrophies .....look up powerstroke help on youtube for a breakdown of the differences ...only additive I run is diesel kleen which helps lubricity of the fuel and boosts cetane
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

RUN,don't walk and never look back .
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

I love my 05 6.0. Maintenance is key

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
Having owned two 6.0's, and still own one, I would walk away from a first year 2003 6.0 unless it has aftermarket studs and the emission junk removed. Too many issues to list with that engine--especially the 03-04's. Look into a 7.3, or at the least a 2005-2007 6.0. My remaining 2007 6.0 still runs great.
I beg to differ on that! My '03 is a fabulous truck! I've done studs & gaskets, EGR delete, coolant flush & filter, Amsoil bypass filter, etc. and it runs great. I think the later years actually had more issues (standpipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, weaker EGR cooler, etc). Just do your research on the fixes.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf12908 View Post
I beg to differ on that! My '03 is a fabulous truck! I've done studs & gaskets, EGR delete, coolant flush & filter, Amsoil bypass filter, etc. and it runs great. I think the later years actually had more issues (standpipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, weaker EGR cooler, etc). Just do your research on the fixes.
well thats why it runs so good...cause you fixed all the problems it would have had
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf12908 View Post
.... really dnf? really?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
.... really dnf? really?
All 6.0's need the deletes and studs, etc. If you would have read the rest of my post, you would have seen that I was making the distinction that, in my opinion, the '03's have fewer issues than the later models. That's what is relevant to the OP.

Last edited by dnf12908; 08-08-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford f250 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.