Dual Bypass filter system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
OperationSmile.org

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Bypass filter system

I am considering building my own Dual Bypass. I have my bases and mounting figured out but I don't know how these things mount and are plumber. Could some one with this type of kit post some pictures and descriptions showing the plumbing and such. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Dual bypass seems excessive. The biggest problem with oil in a 6.0 is the viscosity (it shears it down to 30 weight pretty quickly), not particles
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM

ive always read/heard NEVER to do a dual bypass on these motors?? I have no experience with it, its just what ive read
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
OperationSmile.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Dual bypass seems excessive. The biggest problem with oil in a 6.0 is the viscosity (it shears it down to 30 weight pretty quickly), not particles
I have a 7.3 though. I have heard good and bad things about the dual bypass. doinga single would make no differance than just putting a better filter in place of the stock. Any ideas
Old 05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A single bypass does not remove your standard oil filter that is on the block. There are ports on the filter housing on the block where you would attach your feed and return lines for your single kit. So you will still get the filtration of your standard filter and then the much finer (2-3 micron) bypass filter. From what I have read and been told the dual setups are no longer recommend for use of the 7.3. Even Amsoil no longer recommends using their dual filter kit on our 7.3's. I personally don't feel that it is worth the risk in running one of them. And as far as I know the single and dual kits should filter just as good as one another (so long as you use the a good filter on the block), but don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps,
Mike
Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
OperationSmile.org

That sheds alot of light on things. Thanks Matredgt for that useful info. I thought the kit got rid of the stock filter. Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 AM
OperationSmile.org

NO what should I use for fittings to connect the 2?

Last edited by toddy; 05-04-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATREDGT View Post
A single bypass does not remove your standard oil filter that is on the block. There are ports on the filter housing on the block where you would attach your feed and return lines for your single kit. So you will still get the filtration of your standard filter and then the much finer (2-3 micron) bypass filter. From what I have read and been told the dual setups are no longer recommend for use of the 7.3. Even Amsoil no longer recommends using their dual filter kit on our 7.3's. I personally don't feel that it is worth the risk in running one of them. And as far as I know the single and dual kits should filter just as good as one another (so long as you use the a good filter on the block), but don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps,
Mike
Where did you here or read that? I have been on the AMSOIL website and there is no mention of it as far as I read. I did read where they say its not recomended for the 6.0 though. I was just talking with a local AMSOIL rep today and did not mention anything about them not being recomended.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the dual Amsoil set up and love it. I couldn't find anything on their web site about not using the dual on the 7.3 either.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM

I just put 15 quarts of AMSOIL 15W40 and AMSOIL filter in mine. I didnt realize that the dual bypass system deleted the filter on the block. I am ordering my mine tomorrow. The dealer said I should see an increase in mileage as well. I am going to go full synthetice with erverything eventualy. I am trying to do everything to squeez the most mileage out of my truck as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.